The CheapLiner

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JoeyMac said:
One of the COOLEST SpaceLiners ever ;)

Seriously, awesome stuff, I am definitely into it!
Thanks man. That means a lot coming from someone with one of the coolest spaceliners I've ever seen. What can I say? spaceliners got class. A lot of class. :mrgreen:

So I got my new tires... Yesterday was my birthday so I went out and bought myself some new tires, and a spoke wrench so I can adjust my wheel up... After the shoes go on the final pics will come. :D

if you want to cheat the lines go the some really think automitive stripping and do it with that. if you have never striped before it can be hard but it is easy with practice.

So here's a few more pics...
2765769904_e4558399b1.jpg

2764925741_2b8714fb1a_b.jpg

2765776118_4f87ed362e_b.jpg

2765770148_667e7218c5_b.jpg

Almost finished... I'm torn on the look of blackwalls vs. Whitewalls... The whites looked sharp, but the only whites I have were a little too wide. If the frontend gave at all, I was rubbing. And the rear... There was less than 1/16th between the tire and the lowere wheel stays, and I trued my wheel as good as I could and it still rubs in one spot... I origianlly bought the blackwalls(schwinn reproductions) because I like the look of my chrome spaceliner with black tires and it seems like EVERY old-style bike(including the one I built for my wife) in this town has whitewalls... So I wanted to be different. If I can find the right tires, I may put some whitey's on it... I'm also gonna flip the fork... But yeah... :D
Oh yeah I made the mistake of letting my wife ride it last night... She likes it better than hers now. At first she was like "BUt it has giant handlebars." then she was like "No you can't have it back. This is sweet!" :( She even wanted to make the ride longer so she could ride it more. :D

Lookin' good. Yeah, I would say Whities and flip that fork! I love it, your wife digs your bike. Time to build her a real hot rod with some monkey's then I guess! ;)

fast eddie said:
how did ya get away with not using a seat post clamp? that bike looks great, very sharp!
fast eddie outty
Picked up a self-binding seatpost at a swap meet. It's kinda like a seatpost with the bottom end of a steering gooseneck on it. Works great. :D

Thanks Joey. Yeah I did just recently get into bikes, but I've been turnin' wrenches on various things for as long as I can remember. This was just a natural progression. :D I've had a blast with it so far. And thanks for all the kind words on my bike. And for all the inspiration your bikes have given me.

cman said:
The paint job looks great. Was the masking hard to do? Or painting over the red?
I didn't think the masking was particularly hard... I'd never done it before and it turned out pretty good I feel... After doing some reading I discovered I maybe should have laid down the lighter cooler first, but it turned out good... In my opinion... I laid the grey on thick over the red... I didn't have any issues. Both paints were the same brand(New holland factory paint... I work at a new holland tractor dealership...) But when I look at it close I can tell wher i could have masked/taped off better... But it's a rat, and looks good, especially when I'm cruising by and don't stop for ya to get a closer look at it. :wink:

So here's my dilema... I really think the way my bike looked with the whitewalls was way sharp. But they didn't fit properly. The front would rub every time I hit a bump and the back would rub every rotation... I know a simple fix would be to buy a smaller sized whtiewall, but my LBS sells them for like 15 a tire, and I already purchased one set of blackwalls. Buying another set would defeat the whole cheap thing(of course my fork already did that...) and I think putting the old whitewalls I had on it just for pics is kinda... cheating or deceptive... It doesn't look bad with the blackies on it, but man it looked sharp with the whitewalls...
see? We got this...
2765769904_e4558399b1.jpg

or this...
2743619669_bd451bc867.jpg

It's a tough decision...

i really like those black walls, they give it a hot rod look. have you tried a whitewall in the rear and black up front. thats an old school look. so are you going for a so-cal speed shop look here?

gaskill said:
i really like those black walls, they give it a hot rod look. have you tried a whitewall in the rear and black up front. thats an old school look. so are you going for a so-cal speed shop look here?
I've thought of the whitewall/blackwall... If I can find one that I like how it fits I'll go that way. Otherwise It'll stay black. I think... :?
So you're the second person to say something about the so-cal speed shop look... I didn't paint it like that with that in mind. I just thought the light grey/red scheme would look sharp. I've never looked at enough socal speed shop stuff to know where the similarities lie... I've always been in to air-cooled vws and eurotrash cars... I like old rods and stuff, but never built them....

So my LBS had a used whitewall tire they gave me that just happened to be the right size. :D And I flipped my fork and put on the pin-striping where my colors met, since I don't know ho to do scallops yet... And I'm pretty pleased with the results.
Here's a cell phone pic. I'll be posting better ones in the final section tomorrow.
2775043250_f685bf8661.jpg

I do have to say it's been fun. And inspiring. Can't wait to start my next build. :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back