The Difference Engine...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok so I've been wanting a coaster rear end. This frame is 700c. The rims I've found won't fit the 40c tires I have... So I'm going to run a 27" x 1 1/4" and save my 700c tire for another bike... 8mm larger and also a bit wider, should be pretty cool.

Carl.

Yeah my brains goin' a 100 mph and I'm stuck waitin' for postal parts and watching paint dry...
They say there's another big snowstorm on the way too... So I'm mostly just spending time sitting around a fireplace playin' guitar. ;)

Carl.

Just don't go postal on us! Guitar, fireplace & a cold beverage sounds like heaven to me! Except I can't play the guitar. Two out of three ain't bad!

Well I knew I'd hit a snag somewhere...27" rim fits fine, and I did get a white tire for it... but, 1 1/4 is a lot smaller in width than the 38c on front (I thought it'd be wider). The 40c I was gonna use IF I found a 700c coaster won't go on the 27" rim. (wasn't supposed to either but some threads say you can...) so if its gonna look right it's gotta have a 27" front wheel set too... so I'm waitin' on a wheel again, and still waitin' on my headlight. o_O The positive side is I now have a new set of white tires for the woman's bike since I'm not changing the wheels on it... even tho it's not gonna be part of the build I do want to do something cool with it...

Carl.

Last edited:

700c x 38c front and 27" x 1 1/4" rear...
I like how the 700c fits in the fork, cruiserlike, and it's original to the bike.
But, the 27" is more like the style of archbar bike I'm going for, and has a lean look to it...
Still trying to decide which way to go... probably the 700c.

Carl.

Last edited:
I actually have 3, a black multi, a chrome multi, and a new chrome 48t single. I believe I'll use the single, it's inexpensive but looks pretty cool. I have a tensioner on the way, since it has vertical dropouts, if I can get it to work with the18t coaster brake. This drive train has me :headbang: by the time I'm done I'll have two sets of white tires and rims, 700's and 27's, the biggest issue is the chainline and what will work with the coaster, since I've stripped all the cable stays off to clean up the frame. I really want no cables on it.

Carl.

Last edited:
Raggedy headlight showed up today... Deitz 9-50, in rough shape but all good.
Westinghouse bulb in it is blown so I cut the leads off of it with a dremel and put 2 LEDs inside... tried a couple of 5mm blues, looked good but not bright enough. Luckily, I have a Radio Shack right across the street... mounting bracket is next.

Carl.

Latest posts

Back