The Flat Landers of Ayer

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread is intended for the few who will be going to the "4th Human Powered Vehicle Festival" in Ayer MA in 2013. Even if you don't ..... no worries.... this thread is for everyone. I moved it here from 3rd Human Powered Vehicle Festival
I have been to the other three events and brought a different ride each time and then some. I thought that those Rats that go could make a bike for the event so that we could ride down the Rail Trail in style as one. This would be an easy pedaling cruiser with one speed and coaster brakes. Some people have shown a little interest so I thought I could lay out some guide lines and see what becomes of it. I named the style of bike " The Flat Lander Cruiser " so that's settled. I would guess we would put on this thread your progress as you build your bike. Maybe when the bike is complete you can link to your build from here.

Cheaply built. Let's not put a lot of money into this. Things you need to buy if nessesary can't be helped like paint and some tires and things like that.

One speed (or 2-speed Kickback) with coaster brake. Simple, no hand brakes no cables. Geared to cruise on the Rail Trail.

Any frame will do but an old road bike frame might be just the thing to use, I can't think of a better way to use up the frame. Painting without breaking down the frame is encouraged but not mandatory.

Tires no bigger than 1.5 or there abouts trying to keep it a skinny tired cruiser. 26" rims, bigger or smaller trying to rule out the smaller 20".

Fenders and chainguards are optional in any form or just plain Jane.

A kickstand would be nice or some contraption stuck under the pedal. My last bike had a golf club (#7 wood).

A warning devise..... any thing you can come up with is cool.

Something reflective.....

A card to buzz against the spokes for our grand entrance when we return from our bike ride is an option but it will be the bikes trademark.

Other options would be baskets or bags found or made. Things that don't belong on a bike to upset normal thinking bikers.

This can be a lot of fun to build and ride. Lets not get stressed on this or worry about not completing the bike for the ride. Get as close as we can to the basic guide line and have at it. If we are having trouble finding parts maybe we can help each other out, I have a few parts that may help others.

So what do you New England Rat's think....?

Graylock

Ayuh! The owner of my LBS gave me this old track frame, a couple of bottom brackets, cranks, stem and handlebars. It has great old orange paint, all matted out with some white house paint specks and other paint. Great patina. I was going to do the bare aluminum Deep V with the coaster brake but $$$$. So now I'll build some reasonable wheels. So this is perfect. I will be able to fit a 1.5 in there. I'm going to make a purpleheart riser straight bar for it. I hope it fits me at all :lol: .

Flatlander_zps0b8eb743.jpg

I've got a year, give or take, I think I can get it done.

Graylock, just out of curiosity, why no 20". To maintain some uniformity? I agree in any case, I just happen to be building a 20" right now that I'm very stoked about.

How about "fixies" :lol: ?.....................Stevil

Jackdaw has the drop on us :shock: .... 8) This frame will live in history or at least stay out of the slaughter house. Your bike seems to have control of it's destiny. Your nice start has kicked me into gear :wink: . My 89 year old Dad has informed me that he has scored some road bikes from some "old man" as he put it. I think one is a Schwinn. He says it's a big bike we'll see.

Stevil.... if you must but no hand brakes. If braking is a problem then ride close behind me and bounce off my bike to stop.... that'll work.

I wanted to stay away from the 20 inch wheels 'cause this cruiser wouldn't be a cruiser with them....... Ok to maintain some uniformity there I said it :| .

I have made a Flat Lander before but I wanted another one that I spend less money on. I rode it more miles on my bike trails at home this year then any of my other bikes.

This should turn out well.

GL

In keeping with the spirit of this thread, I’m thinking of getting a 27-inch Flip-Flop and using it on the Peugeot for the ride to Nashua. :)

my WWII BFG with 700c wheels is already a perfect path rider. It just needs a bell.

or.......... maybe I'll ride this:

7985410241_aa581fd0f3_b.jpg

ZygoteLittle said:
In keeping with the spirit of this thread, I’m thinking of getting a 27-inch Flip-Flop and using it on the Peugeot for the ride to Nashua. :)
There ya go!!
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Wow! what is that? Really a Huffy? and with Huffy discs on the back? Awesome!
ifitsfreeitsforme said:

ya, that's a Huffy. 1980 I think? Olympic commemorative bike.

I saved it from someone here on RRB. He said he saved it from his neighbor putting it out to the trash. I like the pursuit bike look. Had to have it. It's 26x1-3/8 rear, 24x1-3/8 front. I converted it from a 10 speed to a SS.

jackdaw said:
And I'm looking for a nice old coaster hub. Pretty. I think I'll lace it to a 26"x1 3/8" rim. I have a nice front.

I may have one all laced up maybe, I'll look but gee wizz I might need one for myself. I was hoping to lace up a coaster brake on that Shwinn when I get from my Dad.

GL

Just thinking - do we have to wait until next year for this ride to happen? :wink: Just thinking...

I got my bike from my dad but was shocked at the size of the thing. I never cared much for how bike frames were measured, I always went by how far off the floor the top tube was. This one is nearly 35" off the street :shock: I think I have one of Danimal's bikes!
This would have been a good frame to use but I can't swing my leg over the Man's Bar let alone the seat :| . Still looking.

FL-01_zpsb7138e8c.jpg

GL

ZygoteLittle said:
Just thinking - do we have to wait until next year for this ride to happen? :wink: Just thinking...

If I didn't live five hours away...

Amy's on the search for a Flatlander to build.

Yea, I looked into my side yard scrap and found a 26 x 1 3/8 wheel,single speed hub with an oiler
and a stamped "A" .Should cleanup okay . Seems I have all the parts for my Flatlander :D ....Stevil

Hey Mr. Graylock, I'm in. I think I can build one of these in a year....My little mind is working. I'm thinking, road frame, skinny tires, apes (of course) and a set of rear baskets............OH! I forgot the "fork".

In? You were never out. This bike you speak of will have your best Kota skills rolled into one wicked cool Flat Lander 'cause you got that well seasoned knowledge you aquired with.... you know.... age. Well you got a whole year to build :D .
I've been bugged by this tall Schwinn I have and seeing that your in the build I have been so inspired to use my frame after all and I actually have a plan this time. Nothing drastic (I've done it before) and it won't hurt if I wear hand protection this time. Got to keep it cheap and simple..... will have to make some Kota bars and maybe use my cow bell :? But I'm not messin' with no fork, too scary!

GL

Latest posts

Back