The Galtbacken 18

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome.
Again you've managed to build something that 'could have been' or maybe 'should have been'. Great mix of old and new. Stylingwise ofcourse. Buildingwise it's 100% Galtbacken. Glad to see it finaly finished. Yet I can't wait seeing the daylight and detail pics...

Thank you so much guys, glad to hear you like how it turned out! :D
I'll adjust the gears so that they'll function properly and then I'll take it for a ride outside when the weather's nice, and my studying schedule permits, and take a whole bunch of photos of it.

herr_rudolf: Cool that you like that mixed old/new kind of vibe of the bike! I often find that I'm drawn to things with those aesthetics and it seems I can't help but let it show in alot of the stuff I make. To be honest, I like the old/old look of stuff too...:lol:

Strings_and_steam: Build one, it's fun! :D

sludgeguy: Now you made me feel hungry... :lol:

deorman: Let's hope it won't! :D

As I wrote before, more photos soon!

Take care until then everybody!

Strings_and_steam said:
Stunning. Simply stunning. I want one :!: :!:

You just want one? :roll: I’m putting my order in right now for a thousand!! :D 8)

Wow!! Just seeing it all put together and looking the way it does is just amazing!! I Checked the weather and it looks partly sunny with a chance of drizzle’s in the late afternoon and I called your professors to clear you for the rest of the week...soooo you should be able to start taking pictures.....well, .... now right!! :shock: :shock:

Can’t wait to see more pictures of this two wheeled rolling canvas of art!

HL :D

AMAZING!!!

So far, my favourite!
Hope to see the detailed photos soon,
What can I say?...
CONGRATS MY FRIEND!!! You keep pushing the barrier!!! :wink: :D :mrgreen:

Thank you so much guys! :D

FOUND OBJECTS: Glad you like it!! :)

deorman: Thanks, I'm hoping to be able to ride it alot to see how the ideas I've had feels and handles like. :)

Strings_and_steam: If you lived closer to where I'm at you'd be welcome to borrow my welder and get building. :)

Half Link: I'd hoped that I would have been able to squeeze in some photography in between math and such, but although the weather has been exactly as you foretold it would be, I believe you weren't convincing enough when talking to my professors...they keep adding more and more things for me to keep up with :lol: And by the way, your 1000 bikes should be ready for shipment in say...1000 years? :lol:

Gdcast: I bow down and thank you! :)

Thanks, so nice to hear you like it! :) I guess you could say the frame is taller than a regular bike, but not a lot. I'm about 6' tall (if ' is foot :mrgreen: ) and because of the seat tube angle I have a comfortable distance to the pedals and also I'm able to put both feet on the ground without getting off the seat. I'll see if I can get someone to take a photo of me on the bike, so it's easier to get an idea of it's size.
Great work on the Desperado! :D

Took a couple of hours off from studying and went for a ride on the 18 this afternoon. So much fun! Felt like when I was a kid and could ride around all day long just because it was such a great feeling riding a bike. :D I'm really pleased with how it rides too, it's very comfortable and handles great. Only thing is that I'll have to shorten the chain a little and see if I can get the gears to run smoothly. If not I might convert it into a singlespeed. :)

Also took some photos of the bike today. :)

Frdig17.jpg

Frdig8.jpg

Frdig4.jpg

Frdig5.jpg

Frdig12.jpg

Frdig10.jpg

Frdig6.jpg

Frdig7.jpg

Frdig11.jpg

Frdig13.jpg

Frdig14.jpg

Frdig16.jpg

Frdig15.jpg

I'll ask a friend of mine to help me take a few riding pics some day soon.

Take care everybody! :)

Nice Galt! She really did come out great. Sorry to hear it isn't shifting well.
I'm guessing you would be the one if any who can fix that. :lol:

Thanks buddies! :D

herr_rudolf: I agree with you completely about how the bike rides is the most important thing. Thats my first concern when I make the first sketch for a bike, if I think it'll be a good ride and perform well according to it's purpose, then I focus on how to design the rest around that. I'm still at a stage where I do a lot of guess work when designing the bike, ideas that I want to try out to see if they work, and it was such a great feeling to ride the 18 and find out that the thoughts I had on seat- and head tube angles actually did make the ride feel as I wanted it to. Sometimes luck smiles at you! :)

FOUND OBJECTS: Yeah I think I'll work it out somehow, and if I can't get my head around how to fix it, there's no lack of knowledgeable guys here to ask for help! 8) But when I was riding around today I found that one of the gears had this perfect balance for being able to cruise around on it at a good speed and at the same time it wasn't too heavy when starting from a standstill. I'm leaning towards building more single speed bikes in the future. Beautiful simplicity! :D

When I look at the photos of the finished bike again I notice that the seat doesn't point straight forward, sorry 'bout that folks. :roll: I haven't tightened the seatclamp completely yet...

Oh, and for those of you who have followed the build and think to yourselves "hm, I think those are not the same handlebars from the mock-up photos", you're absolutely right!! :D I changed the ones I had originally planned to use for straight ones. It made the headlight look a little closer to the bars and I also wasn't totally happy with the upside down look of the other ones, so I like these better over all. :)

I study your bikes all the time (though I don't always leave comments) I just can't say how much I admire your work!!! What is your thought process? I'm not a wimp, but just looking at this work of art, I feel like crying :cry: (just so beautiful) The perfect fusion of classic styling and modern technology...enough said...I have to go, I have something in my eye...

Job well done 8)

Latest posts

Back