The Hepkat * I'm back!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The frame is ready to paint but I have a few things to complete first. This chain guard was not built for this bike so I have to make all new brackets to fit the frame. Plus I still have to make the shims so the rear fender follows the tire tightly. It's slowly getting there but it's going to be cool.

Screenshot_2018-02-05-13-00-16-1.png

Screenshot_2018-02-05-13-06-17-1.png

I really hated the gap between the tire and the fender. Not only was there a gap you could see all the way through but, the fender didn't follow the line of the tire.

20180317_170427-1.jpg

So I made spacers that pushed the fender closer to the tire and I had to shorten the fender brace.

20180318_211619_HDR.jpg

I like it but I need to shorten the spacers a little bit because my tire slightly rubs the screw heads. By doing all this I did two things, I made the tire and fender flow much better, plus, I moved the tire back about 2 inches. I always thought the rear tire looked too close to the seat post tube. I think it looks better now.

Thanks doc. I still have some fine tuning to do but it's getting closer.

Not much progress last night. I did shorten the spacers about a 1/4 inch because the tire would slightly rub the screw heads. The fender still looks tight to the tire so I'm still good with the look.

20180320_190928-1.jpg

20180320_190939-1.jpg

20180320_190947-1.jpg

Then I started working on the tail light and license plate bracket. The Hepkat license plate bracket will have a hidden battery pack behind the plate that will run the tail light. I'll have more pictures tomorrow. But here's the light I found years ago and I finally have a project to use it on. The plate will be mounted vertically below the light.

20180320_195042-1.jpg

20180320_195037-1.jpg

20180320_195031-1.jpg

It took longer than expected to clean this up with the wire wheel but it looks great. Had to use the hammer and dolly to straighten out a lot of it but it's quicker and easier than hiding the dents with bondo.
Screenshot_2018-05-18-14-24-53-1.png

Krispy Klean

I finally invested in a large air compressor so now I can get serious about painting. Lot's of metal flaking is about to happen. Sorry, no picture but you know what an air compressor looks like.

Sorry for not posting for a while but I've been packing my house. I'm sick of living on the Gulf Coast so I'm moving back to Michigan. I'll have plenty of room to work on all my projects plus it won't be 300 degrees with 6000 percent humidity everyday.
IMG_20180801_015418_291.jpg

image.jpeg
It's been a few months, I'm mostly all moved in to the new place. I need a workshop with great lighting so I picked the old chicken coop. Plenty of room and lots of windows.

Of course, the problem is, it was full of junk.

image.jpeg

Spent a few weeks cleaning and now it's usable again.

image.jpeg

On the bright side, I found a couple good scores hiding in all the junk. A pretty cool Columbia, I even found a NOS tank for it. And peeking out from behind the Columbia was cycle truck frame. Which is cool since I found the rest of the bike in a box up in the barn. Woohoo!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Latest posts

Back