The lastest is the fastest...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I don't have much time and I have big plans, so it may not get finished in time, but I thought I'd give it a shot. This will be my first custom of this kind, and I'm having fun already. Here's my starting point:
lowrider.jpg

And here's one of the parts donors:
junk.jpg

The frame will be stock, although I will be replacing the dropouts. (who can guess why?)

I got a little work done today, stay tuned for pictures tomorrow.

"The frame will be stock, although I will be replacing the dropouts. (who can guess why?)"

I would say that you are going multi speed with a derailluer and/or adding rear disc brakes.

kemmer said:
The frame will be stock, although I will be replacing the dropouts. (who can guess why?)

I got a little work done today, stay tuned for pictures tomorrow.

I would say with all the Cold Stretch talk your going
to add the whole rear of the donor to the Rat..
leaving the stock Frame as a weld mount and stretching the rear
suspension around the rear drop outs .Secured at the seat stay and the bottom
bracket.

that's my guess.

Nope, no suspension. I will only be using the dropouts from the donor frame and fork. That would be pretty wicked though, and actually fairly easy. I might try that sometime!

62Higgins said:
"The frame will be stock, although I will be replacing the dropouts. (who can guess why?)"

I would say that you are going multi speed with a derailluer and/or adding rear disc brakes.

Right and right! Somehow I didn't see your post before, but yeah, that's what I'm doing.

I haven't gotten alot done yet, but I did re-space the rear and cut off the fender and kickstand braces to fit the 26" wheels in the rear. I replaced the fork with one from a 24" youth MTB because the original one didn't have room for the disc brake.

I'm toying with the idea of a chopper fork but I don't think it's right for this bike. I think I want this bike to be sleek and fast looking and I think an extended fork would mess up the lines. I also would rather rake the frame if I'm gonna do something like that, which I can't do on this build.

Here's something else I came up with. What happens when you want to run a 9 speed rear cassette with an old one piece crank? There aren't any one piece sprockets with teeth narrow enough for a 9 speed chain. Well this is what you do:

Take a 9 speed chainring from a mountain or road bike:
ring.jpg

Find a nice, solid chain ring for a 1 piece crank. Grind the teeth of and drill holes to match the ring:
disc.jpg

Bolt it together for rat rod gold!
gold.jpg

I got lucky and had two rings with the same number of teeth, so that made it easier to line them up. Big thanks to my friend Brody who drilled it out for me on his drill press at work. He even went the extra mile and ground the teeth off! Stay tuned, I think he might be working on something too, he got pretty jazzed when I told him about the build off.

Latest posts

Back