The Life Saver: 1971 AMF Renegade 3

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
I'm going through some difficult personal times, but since I have till February, I'll throw my hat in the ring and do what I can when I can. I start a new job on the 15th, so I've taken some time since the 1st to tinker around. Here we go.

Here's what I'm starting with. This is a picture of how it was found in the barn. It's pretty crusty.

SNHStH.jpg

I hope this build can be therapeutic for you. A post breaking off at the seat tube isn't exactly the way you would like it to start, but as Glen mentioned, hang in there. In every sense of the phrase.

Good to see you are in again. We always need the king of muscle in a build-off.

Totally get it, have been there now going on two years, reason I didn't jump in last years build off. But I'm picking up a bike for the first time in a while in Indianapolis this weekend and hoping to jump in myself.

I know the rat look drives you nuts. I look at the fork tube and see the og gold paint and think "Man that bike IS crusty..." It'll be amazing to see the transformation from crust to cake. I still remember you reaching out to help me in my first build here, that just happened to be a MBBO. Thanks again!

Carl.

I didn't get pictures of the process, but had a friend help me with the seat post removal. We welded a piece of scrap metal to the edge, then heated up the tube, then pounded the heck out of it to break it loose. It gave, and came out. I took a pipe and wrapped sand paper around it and reamed out the inside as best I could. I stripped down the frame and added the new post.

Rlenrb.jpg

Started some mocking up. The original chain guard was toast, so I had to buy a "new" one. I have been using some pics I found on the net as reference, and it turns out that the frame I have, and the frame I have pics for, are slightly different. As you can see, the chain guard/fender brace mounting tab is set back in the reference pic, so the chain guard fits behind the seat stay.

SZUppX.jpg

Well, no such luck with my frame.

1ltu5U.jpg

So, I had to improvise with some metal fab work.

2dCbTh.jpg

So there we go.

Y8Eq0X.jpg

The rear fender braces are also a bit long, so I'll have to do something about that to get the fender to mount correctly around the wheel.

Crash, can you cold set the fork dropouts? That fork looks pretty cool. The crown has a nice look to it.

They are a dime a dozen. I'll find another one pretty quick.

:rolleyes: Phhhht... "dime a dozen"... not where I live they're not. o_O Like hens teeth here :chicken: In fact, I don't think I've ever seen a bike with a fork like that here at all :39: Guess it's like water... some places have none and are in drought while others have too much and are in flood.

Oh well, nevermind... we all make do with what we have access to and if you have access to copious amounts of cool forks, I'm happy for you. :happy:

It did have a nice yellow/green metallic, but I'm taking it a whole new direction.

Looking forward to seeing this new colour direction... any hints?

Glen.

Clean and fresh starting point now compared to the crusty muscle it was. Looking good so far. Cool tires too.

Latest posts

Back