The Lost Boy

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
BO12 baby, oh yeah! So here I am again, with NO clue where my build is going! hahaha! Thus the name "The Lost Boy" (fan of the movie here too). I had so much fun from a past MBBO that I decided to throw my hat in the competition...even if I have ZERO chances! Life's too short not to have a little fun, right? ;-)

With zero welding and fabrication skills, my build would just be a a pretty straightforward one. I've always been a fan of the hassle-free nature of bare metal bikes that I would add one to my collection (again).

Here's a bunch of parts from my stash that I would be using:

A vintage straight bar rescued from a junkyard, no ID.
IMG_20170505_143639_zpsktcmyysn.jpg

IMG_20170505_142830_zpsd0ncn983.jpg

Dropped for a boardtracker look!
IMG_20170505_141809_zpsnil9rrcl.jpg

Still debating whether to use this stem or a Wald-style one I saw at a shop. We'll see.
IMG_20170505_141738_zpsu2ht6a45.jpg

IMG_20170505_141336_zpsoqqvjorz.jpg

IMG_20170505_142350_zpsnpyvxwft.jpg

IMG_20170505_142410_zpsdm5blcca.jpg

IMG_20170505_142501_zpskofszfss.jpg

Bear trap or classic rubber blocks? Mean-looking or gentlemanly? Hmmmmmm? I'm almost leaning towards the bear traps, because they're pedals that "bite". Get it? "Lost Boy", "bite"? :rofl:

Sorry about that :(
IMG_20170505_142553_zpsvn6us3ei.jpg

IMG_20170505_142613_zpsy29tsjm5.jpg

IMG_20170505_143946_zpsmljyuh8n.jpg

That's all the parts I have at the moment but came across this tire at a Sunday bike market a couple of weeks ago, puncture-proof! They're 26" x 1.5" in size and would most likely be the ones I will be using. Please stay tuned ;-)

FB_IMG_1493001028365_zpsklw7mymk.jpg

Last edited:
Great frame lost boy don't think I've seen that one before. I Will have to agree about the fork. If your going vintage a springer or klunker stright bmx stile . But no disrespect just have fun and build what you like .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

None taken my friend. In my mind I was thinking of a brat/tracker vibe, something tough to be a beater bike. I might even use this kind of bars, still clueless. At this point I'm still winging it ;-)
-font-b-Bike-b-font-font-b-Bicycle-b-font-25-4mm-Bar-font-b_zpswgbjkrug.jpg

Maybe this one? I am truly a lost boy! hahaha
D21286-7_zpspoxgmkkt.jpg

Great frame lost boy don't think I've seen that one before. I Will have to agree about the fork. If your going vintage a springer or klunker stright bmx stile . But no disrespect just have fun and build what you like .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
..even if I have ZERO chances! Life's too short not to have a little fun, right? ;-)

With zero welding and fabrications skills, my build would just be a a pretty straightforward one.

I've built a few radical, stretched out frames, in my time. But I've always admired, and had a lot more fun with "pretty straightforward" builds. What I like about this site: You don't have to be a welder to make a GREAT bike... Everyone has a style. Your bikes are clean and balanced. Balanced is the key to a good build. Your bikes have balance AND style!

I've built a few radical, stretched out frames, in my time. But I've always admired, and had a lot more fun with "pretty straightforward" builds. What I like about this site: You don't have to be a welder to make a GREAT bike... Everyone has a style. Your bikes are clean and balanced. Balanced is the key to a good build. Your bikes have balance AND style!

Amen to that brotha! Thank you for the kind words :)

The Electra seat I spent a young fortune on is the same seat as yours, minus the name.

With those tires and frame, I'd say make it a Klunker! But of course, it can be whatever you want, a mix of different styles too.

The Electra seat I spent a young fortune on is the same seat as yours, minus the name.

With those tires and frame, I'd say make it a Klunker! But of course, it can be whatever you want, a mix of different styles too.

Aloha Barry! Yeah, a friend told me that seats of these types/styles basically come from the same factory in Taiwan, without the branding they would be priced the same. Yes, and with what I currently have plus the tires I'm getting it might be an off-road/street hybrid. All my ideas are there, I just have to make them work.

Glad you decided to join us Joe. How did you come up with that frame, all the way over there?Wondering if it is a leftover from the war?
I think the Lost Boys is a excellent cult movie. Nice choice for the name.

Hi Kimberly, yeah I am excited to be a part of this build off. This frame might be newer given that I rescued it with a bunch of others from a junkpile. It still had plastic wrappings when I found it along with others. Story goes a bike shop from the 80's closed shop then dumped hundreds of frames and parts in that junkyard and sat there for decades. When word got out in the local vintage bike community about that gold mine, it only took less than a week to clean it out, hahaha. I was lucky to get this one along with several others. Looking forward to your build and good luck to all of us :)

Here's the photo of the said "gold mine"
IMG_20151005_125603.jpg

...and some of my haul that day.
IMG_20151006_155308.jpg

Glad you decided to join us Joe. How did you come up with that frame, all the way over there?Wondering if it is a leftover from the war?
I think the Lost Boys is a excellent cult movie. Nice choice for the name.

Last edited:
You haven't even built it yet, and it's already one of my favorites. I'm like you, no fabrication skills, and I never get many votes, but each new build teaches me something new, and every once in a while, someone comments on my cool bike. That's nice. And the pros on this site are very encouraging and supportive. This is so much more fun than golf. Can't wait to see you finished product.

Latest posts

Back