The Plastic Machine

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Not a frequent poster here by any means, but here's my latest scratch build. I have been working at a plastic fabrication plant for a few years now. That time is nearing an end, so I decided to get something done that I've been kicking around the entire time I've worked there: A plastic bike. I have made tons of parts for my bikes in the time I've worked here (seats, forks, tank plates, baskets, handlebars, etc) But a full bike would take a ton of engineering.

I did it anyway
render_zps4jzqvvbw.png

3/4" thick plates for rear triangle and fork
KIMG0146_zpspn9mqbo5.jpg

Machined Dropouts
KIMG0147_zpseetpzlrf.jpg

A brief mockup with the two 1/2" thick frame panels
KIMG0148_zpskr666xwc.jpg

Welded in a 1/4" opaque plastic "tank"
KIMG0156_zpsdpy5kmzg.jpg

Got some wheels: 3g 3speed with Kenda Kiniptions
KIMG0159_zpsb5uxreud.jpg

Another mockup with the pipe that holds it all together
KIMG0161_zps4szy3b1u.jpg

A rear view
KIMG0162_zpsgffbjfod.jpg

KIMG0163_zpstqdpuh3i.jpg

A rough idea of the finished product
KIMG0165_zps7awlgtso.jpg

1/4" aluminum reinforcing plates hot off the CNC plas
KIMG0167_zpsjnwjhtrd.jpg

Finished the fork:
KIMG0173_zps78pipfcs.jpg

KIMG0174_zps0o1dy9ip.jpg

KIMG0175_zpsh7wrxrae.jpg

Waiting on a few parts as of right now, but should be complete this week

Yeah it's heavy, but that's because the panels are 1/2" thick and 3/4" thick. The material is very flexible, so I had to use thicker material and box the frame to get rid of the flex.

I'm hoping for less than 50, but even if I don't, that's still only a couple pounds heavier than the Beast, and everyone seems to be obsessed with those

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Yeah it's heavy, but that's because the panels are 1/2" thick and 3/4" thick. The material is very flexible, so I had to use thicker material and box the frame to get rid of the flex.

I'm hoping for less than 50, but even if I don't, that's still only a couple pounds heavier than the Beast, and everyone seems to be obsessed with those

50lbs is not excessive for a stretch, they are not meant to be a race bike, in fact the heavier they are, quite often the better they ride... :113:

Luke.

This is pretty slick!
Is that material similar to the Starboard material that is used for some boat accessory construction?

We use starboard, which is a High Density Polyethylene. This material, however, is a copolymer polypropylene. The same stuff used on high pressure water tanks for fire trucks

I'm wondering how this is gonna ride/handle. Can't wait to see the final product.

awesome ideal and manufacturing! :rockout:
that fork is welded? can you trust that ?:39:

Not the first fork I've made.

NCM_0257_zpsc2180293.jpg

I trust it. This is tough stuff. Plastic welding is no different than any other form of welding. Two pieces are bonded using heat and a filler rod

Latest posts

Back