'The' Purple Nurple!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, 100mm on the front skyways. The Tuff I is what draws the coin, but condition is everything. Cracks, curb rash, trashed brake tracks all lower value, and orphans don't bring as much as a set does. Tuff IIs are still made, but...Tuff IIs dated in the '80s can still be on the spendy side.

Nice sets of Tuff Is can go for a few hundred, but beat up orphans can be had for $50 or less.

Yes, 100mm on the front skyways. The Tuff I is what draws the coin, but condition is everything. Cracks, curb rash, trashed brake tracks all lower value, and orphans don't bring as much as a set does. Tuff IIs are still made, but...Tuff IIs dated in the '80s can still be on the spendy side.

Nice sets of Tuff Is can go for a few hundred, but beat up orphans can be had for $50 or less.

Sounds like I got a decent deal. Thanks Rusty ;)

Was kind of depressed about my clear acrylic shift knob busting... and set the project aside. My plan was to replicate a miniature pistol grip shifter, but I knew that was going to be a time consuming project. I was digging in my Kennedy box today, looking for a specific micrometer, when I came upon a new Lutz file handle and *BING* a light bulb flicked on and I came up with this:

I chucked it up in the lathe and turned the top radius off the wood handle, drilled and tapped. Made an aluminum cap, which I drilled and made a countersink to fit a flat top bolt. It's obvious what I started with, but I wanted to make it a little different to the unknowing eye. I added a few grooves top and bottom with a file then applied a light stain and wax. I'm decently happy with the results, and it ended up saving me a lot of time with an overall cost next to nothing :)

It's tension smashed on the shift arm, with a hard epoxy for safe measure, It feels very solid as is. Down the road if it seems to come loose I can always drill and press pins.

Last edited:
"decently happy" doesn't sound enthusiastic.

looks like an ordinary wood chisel...out of place.
Function wise it's probably a benefit to go light weight.
Time will tell....

Thanks for your honesty. I'm gonna scrap it. This forum rules, if it looks like crap I won't get b.s. :)

Last edited:
Was kind of depressed about my clear acrylic shift knob busting... and set the project aside. My plan was to replicate a miniature pistol grip shifter, but I knew that was going to be a time consuming project. I was digging in my Kennedy box today, looking for a specific micrometer, when I came upon a new Lutz file handle and *BING* a light bulb flicked on and I came up with this:

I chucked it up in the lathe and turned the top radius off the wood handle, drilled and tapped. Made an aluminum cap, which I drilled and made a countersink to fit a flat top bolt. It's obvious what I started with, but I wanted to make it a little different to the unknowing eye. I added a few grooves top and bottom with a file then applied a light stain and wax. I'm decently happy with the results, and it ended up saving me a lot of time with an overall cost next to nothing :)

It's tension smashed on the shift arm, with a hard epoxy for safe measure, It feels very solid as is. Down the road if it seems to come loose I can always drill and press pins.

Like it. it not to big or to small. Don't change it. It perfect.

I still have the wood grain shift handle as an option, but I went a totally different route tonight. Back to the clear shift knob... I'm now torn, either wood grip or this? Lets take a vote... #1 for wood #2 for clear acrylic with mother of pearl.

Last edited:
#2 for acrylic
#1 for wood if # 2 fails :grin:

Get a mini led edge lighting action going.
Where does the beer come out of? Never mind I see it.

My pops wants me to get some mini purple LED’s goin on it haha. This is the winner... for now ☺️

I like the shorter acrylic one. The wooden one is cool but just seems a bit long

I agree... I’ve shortened the wood knob significantly. It’s just a bit longer than the acrylic one, but sits much lower on the shift arm. I’ll post pics of it this evening and make a final decision.

I think I finally have my solution to the shift knob... I really like this one... it's not bling-bling flashy like the clear, and doesn't resemble a file / wood chisel handle. Went with my original idea and tried to mock the shape of a pistol grip shift knob. I kept the mother of pearl, mostly because I think it distracts from the shifter arm shape... which is not exactly attractive. I think it also looks more organic. Always appealing to the eye. What do ya'll think?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back