The Rail 7

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry for the play-by-play lately, but I'm bored and going stir crazy waiting for warmer temps! :D
The temp got to 60 here for a couple of hours, so I took a lunch break and got the white primer/base coat on the frame.
With the rear stays modified, this frame has a real 'muscular' look to it.
d0643d72335cd2a573ae783bd1642f4a.jpg

That's probably it for a week or so with colder temps coming this week...
Stay tuned, next step......color
Cheers,
Dr. T

Just so you know, I'm following your lead. I bought a Huffy Eldorado which has a similar frame to the Rail/Super Stock. So I'm going to be making another big one.

Glad yours is still moving forward! :cool2:

Cool, I'm sure you'll kill it, just like every build you do buddy.
I was thinking, now that I'm running a MW front tire, about staying true the Rail and going with the stock fork. Tough decision at this this point though, I've already cut the triple tree legs and kinda want a more muscular look.
What if I painted the lower legs coppertone?
How did that adhesion promoter work for you?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tank, you still going around on the front tire?
I really liked that skinny 1 3/8" tire you started with...

Carl.

Fluke mid-70s day in Atlanta (30s tomorrow) so I raced home and threw the first coat of VHT burnt copper paint on it. I forgot how patient you have to be with metallic paint. It's about a 7 of 10 (my scale of quality). I'll let it harden and sand out the oops then second coat, a few coats of clear.
So glad to see this frame in color!
c227dad4a259bec215b9d6ed85d4857f.jpg

fc6e098ef755fe8dc2b60cc0e45dcad4.jpg

6e631c69304f50e12c3a86c95f5bb6a1.jpg

New 'suicide shifter' mount may be here tomorrow or Friday. Gettin' amp'd to put this together. My goal is still showing it at the Get-A-Grip show on the 28th.. Fingers crossed.

Cheers,
Dr. T

Yep, that's a great color. (Fruit Krate)
I thought it went on really well, but that was in the fall,
and I warm up the rattle cans in hot water...

Carl.

Yep, that's a great color. (Fruit Krate)
I thought it went on really well, but that was in the fall,
and I warm up the rattle cans in hot water...

Carl.
Warm water you say......hmmmmmm

Thanks for the kind words guys, can't to see what it looks like with the gloss top coat. If it looks like it does when it wet.........oh yeah!

Next decision......grips......white or honey brown coke bottles from Ian.......got the white ones already, brown are in the mail.... :)
I'm kind of excited about the 'suicide shifter' concept I'm gonna try, stay tuned for that

Last edited:
We had decent weather this weekend, so I was able to repair the paint and get two coats of clear on it.
I let it cure for a few days and applied the Rail seat tube decal . Just need some warm weather and I'll clear over it.
The chainguard will get a Rail decal also, once I repaint it.......
I scrubbed the Long John seat with a Magic Eraser, rubbing alcohol, even Simple Green, it ain't white, it's a cream color. So, I rethought using white grips.....glad I did, because these honey brown Thompson bottles are PERFECT.
558f7ba3596033835a8a347023bf3df4.jpg
eb547d24654dd100bcbaf830e386c671.jpg
d7501a6411496b65e618f7478f037f33.jpg

PS, suicide shifter was a bust, I'm done trying, gonna go 'stock' with the Gripshifter (going SRAM because the Shimano unit felt 'cheap')
That's it for now, stay tuned....
Cheers,
Dr. T

Last edited:
Fluke mid-70s day in Atlanta (30s tomorrow) so I raced home and threw the first coat of VHT burnt copper paint on it. I forgot how patient you have to be with metallic paint. It's about a 7 of 10 (my scale of quality). I'll let it harden and sand out the oops then second coat, a few coats of clear.
So glad to see this frame in color!
c227dad4a259bec215b9d6ed85d4857f.jpg

fc6e098ef755fe8dc2b60cc0e45dcad4.jpg

6e631c69304f50e12c3a86c95f5bb6a1.jpg

New 'suicide shifter' mount may be here tomorrow or Friday. Gettin' amp'd to put this together. My goal is still showing it at the Get-A-Grip show on the 28th.. Fingers crossed.

Cheers,
Dr. T
I love that color. I used it before along with the VHT clear. It really POPS in the sun light. Looking good!

Awesome job on the paint and decals Tank!!! And you are right, those Thompson Grips are perfect for that color. :113::rockout:

Latest posts

Back