The Rusty Rocket

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My build I'm working on is called the Rusty Rocket. The concept is that of a speed freak of the late fifties designed a rocket powered bike that was sure to make it in the book of Guinness Records. Well it never quite took off. Now years later it was found under a tarp in the back of his old barn covered with cob webs and rust.
IMG_20210507_204950283.jpg
IMG_20210507_204950283.jpg
IMG_20210507_205008076.jpg
IMG_20210507_205155459.jpg

Welcome to the build off~! Fun concept and story line. I see a set of wheels (aero?) wrapped up on the floor. I assume they are 'rocket ready' ? :grin:

RaT oN~!

Welcome to the build off.
I'm digging the ACME Power Pack!!!

1620659556816.png

P3CCartersLincoln.jpg

At 11:30 am, the car, with its twin hydrogen peroxide-fueled rockets with 11,000 pounds of thrust, sailed about 400 feet off the end of the ramp. The Wright Brothers had gone 852 feet in their first flight in 1911. According to an unnamed Ontario Provincial Police officer who witnessed the jump, the big Lincoln broke apart, flipped over, and crashed into the river below, right side up. Kenny Powers broke his back.
He and the pieces of the car were retrieved by volunteers on boats. Paramedics and police officers took over on shore and sped away with the stuntman for a long hospital stay.
Kenny Powers being fished out the river after the failed jump. Video still: The Devil at Your Heels, NFB via Youtube
Injured Kenny Powers being fished out the river after the failed jump. Video still: “The Devil at Your Heels,” NFB via Youtube
Ken Carter later said that Kenny Powers wasn’t prepared for the jump, but the two stuntmen remained good friends. Both said that another attempt would be made, but it never happened.

I saw what remained of the ramp at some point in the eighties. Even then, at ten years old or less, I could see that it was a terrible idea, never to succeed.

Welcome to the build off~! Fun concept and story line. I see a set of wheels (aero?) wrapped up on the floor. I assume they are 'rocket ready' ? :grin:

RaT oN~!
[/QUOT
The Tires in the background are for my 1972 Honda CB 350 (RRB contraband). The tires I do have will without a doubt ROCKET READY!
Bob

P3CCartersLincoln.jpg

At 11:30 am, the car, with its twin hydrogen peroxide-fueled rockets with 11,000 pounds of thrust, sailed about 400 feet off the end of the ramp. The Wright Brothers had gone 852 feet in their first flight in 1911. According to an unnamed Ontario Provincial Police officer who witnessed the jump, the big Lincoln broke apart, flipped over, and crashed into the river below, right side up. Kenny Powers broke his back.
He and the pieces of the car were retrieved by volunteers on boats. Paramedics and police officers took over on shore and sped away with the stuntman for a long hospital stay.
Kenny Powers being fished out the river after the failed jump. Video still: The Devil at Your Heels, NFB via Youtube
Injured Kenny Powers being fished out the river after the failed jump. Video still: “The Devil at Your Heels,” NFB via Youtube
Ken Carter later said that Kenny Powers wasn’t prepared for the jump, but the two stuntmen remained good friends. Both said that another attempt would be made, but it never happened.
The RUSTY ROCKET was designed for land not air!
Bob

Nice skirts and rocketeer gear. Don't forget a drag chute!!

Back