The Saginaw Powerbike-The one that brought me back.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello folks. been a longtime since I visited the forum. Life often has a way of getting between you and the things you love. I started up a prop company a few years back and it has consumed my life. I can't complain, I get to be creative everyday and am completely surrounded by very talented folk. Now with that all being said, I just could not sleep with a clear conscious if I didn't share my most recent find with all my ratty friends. It doesn't belong to me , but the owner wants to sell it and I've been commissioned to clean it up/get it running. Made for only 2 years, this is a Saginaw Powerbike.

ifbx8l.jpg

zmnscp.jpg

It is an old skiptooth and dates to 1947 (Made for 2 years I believe)
k4yv81.jpg

It's actually the identical same sprocket/crank/pedals/chain as my x53 western flyer.
It does have a Zefher Name badge but it looks to be glued in place (even though it has 2 screw holes) I suspect it isn't original. lol
2ytr8jt.jpg

The Horrow hub with no spoke holes is an interesting piece. It's been hand drilled (Poorly I might add) to except the sprocket. Some of the brass nuts holding it place have been cut to compensate for the poor drilling of said bolt holes that are too close to the center of the hub.
16gn4wm.jpg

34hvshu.jpg

I'm looking forward to working on this rare piece of history and if nothing else, it dragged me back here to say hello to all my Ratty friends.

30ayni9.jpg

Good to be back, Enjoy!

Last edited:
Oh yeah, I built a few bikes here. ;) In other news, this ugly duckling is all mine! :) :) :)

3020tut.jpg

Since the bike now belongs to me, only thing left to do is figure out a treatment. I thought about a full resto but I'm missing a battery box and a few other hard to find items that I'm sure I won't find cheep. I've considered giving it a Military treatment like the Cushman airborne m53 but I sure do love me a rat rod. Thoughts?

That is absolutely the ugliest modified- motorized bicycle I have ever laid eyes on! But cool none-the-less! If would be very difficult for any of our ratty friends to out-do this one in an "ugly" contest! lol!:crazy:

They have an original brochure and manual for this bike at the AuburnCordDuesenberg Museum in Auburn, Indiana for $16.95 . In the gift shop book store. saw it a few days ago. photo coming up

Soooooo want that! :)

I've had a little time to start in on the bike....What a change a little TLC can make. (Although it still looks like it's been beaten repeatedly with the ugly stick. :)
6elys2.jpg

2ponl9z.jpg

Haven't got into the engine yet. Inside of the tank is clean but the carb is fouled. (Gas has turned into varnish) It has good spark and good compression. Figure that's 2/3rds of the battle. :)

Latest posts

Back