The Shadow

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very cool (bike and video both)! Judging from the comments, I think there could be a "Tall" bike competition in our future!

Graylock said:

Reinvention? They were first work bikes. ....

Graylock :wink:

True story. I saved this picture from somewhere. It's a 1898 model, used for lighting street lamps (oil lamps, I assume)

1898RecordManufacturingcoLampLighte.jpg

Such a beautiful weekend. My wife went to Florida with our oldest daughter and another lady. I stayed here on the Cape with my other daughter and my pug. You'd think, what a setup with no worries and a nice weekend. So I spent quality time with Amy with her swing bike........what about the Shadow?..............finishing up the welds and helping her prep for paint. She did all the prepping, I did the paint on Sunday. We squeezed off the entire paint job
AmysSwingBike-05-06-07.jpg

and then we forgot the seat post :lol: . No big deal. What about the Shadow?
I made breakfest for my Dad and Amy. We also went for lunch and wine shopping. We also planted some flowers at the cemetery for my wife's mother. We took the dog for a good walk along with the bike ride. What about the Shadow.

On Sunday I finished the painting on the swing bike for Amy. Then in the afternoon I started to work on the Shadow. I had worked on the chain tensioner this week but didn't finish it up.
The chain tensioner was made from a BMX freewheel set. I cut off all the spokes from the hub and then cut up the hub so that I had just the freewheel side. The fun part is taking the hub apart to remove the pawls and their springs. A few hundred loose ball bearings to deal with here. The thing to remember when mounting this is that this freewheel has to spin counter clockwise so that the keeper doesn't spin it's way off and spit all those bearings out :shock: .
I made up a tube to attatch under and cut up a MTB goose neck to use as an adjuster. Welded this to a large washer I made with a stud coming through it. I then could bolt my freewheel to this.
TheShadow-41.jpg

This works very well and can be removed for servicing.
I hoped to get more done but thats it. I will have to pick up the pace and be painting something on Thanksgiving weekend.

Later......GL

The swing bike looks awesome! But what about the shadow any new progress? Do you need me to come to the cape to help paint it? I'll bring a trailer of junk bikes

Cody, that swing bike is cool, good eye :wink: .
AmysSwingBike-09.jpg

While I put it together Amy sanded bondo on The Shadow. Then we three took them out for a road test. It passed.
TheShadow-42.jpg

TheShadow-43.jpg

Hopefully I'll get the forks readied for paint and I'll be priming at the paint shop at work tommorow night.

GL

Graylock said:
In the begining, before shadows, there was chaos and darkness. Not much has changed.
TheShadow-01.jpg

Maybe I'll eat some fried clams and wash it down with beer. Yah that will give me heartburn and I'll have bad dreams. It'll do me good.

GL

I have to say being a mid ages gray haired....person of the bike building type myself. Every since I seen this pic of Graylock I thought that I wanted a picture taken like that.....Dont ask me just have always thought it was a pretty cool pic....just like his bike pretty cool....
Terry

onelesspedestrian said:
I'm loving the addition of the large 'cargo hold'..... it makes so much sense on such a 'tall ship' :wink:

I like that cargo hold too. It will fit the Coleman cooler I have as well as it would a Rubber Maid crate or milk crates.

I've been pretty busy painting the last 2 nights, pretty much done with that :| . Hammered Black and Antique White and a little red here and there tomorow. Dead line coming fast, I need the rest.

Graylock

Hey!! :D Looked at the videoclip on youtube, and noticed that in the list of related videos were "ride the lightning" with Metallica! Now, I feel I must object to that...you rock, they don't! :D

Awesome bike!

Well I think is a lot more exciting when you´re not finished yet and the dead line is upon you :D
In my case I have to finish today, there is no tomorrow, I´m leaving the country to attend an ACDC concert in Buenos Aires on Friday, not coming back till Monday so for me, deadline is today :shock: :? :cry:
If get it done, you´ll see pics tomorrow...

Graylock I must say I´m so happy you decided to keep going, in fact thanks to your words I got the encouragement to speed up on my build. So if I get it done, it will be thanks to you man.
Godspeed!

Hehe, I already have a sore neck! Courtesy of finishing the bike yesterday :D

That color combo is beautiful, I imagine the rest of it and I´m sure
it´s gonna be a sweet looking machine (more than it already is).
Thanks to you, I´m totally hooked up with tall bikes now, but I´ll wait
till I get married and move to build one,
otherwise I believe I´ll get a straitjacket for Christmas. :D

You the man, get this beauty done!!

ONLY because this site has taught me to look "beyond" the subject matter of the picture!......That's the biggest spider I've ever seen in MA. And....Do you feed your dog on the window sill? (next to the edge I might add)

Can't wait to see the finished bike!

Latest posts

Back