The Streamliner

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today I have "wired" the lower rear edge. This gives a rounded edge while at the same time, more strength.
First the edge is folded over at 90° and a length of galvanised wire clamped in place.
DSC_0781.JPG

The wire I use is actually fencing wire. It's pliable and rust resistant.
The measurement for the fold is critical.
The edge is then tapped over and a modified pair of pliers is used to squeeze the aluminium around the wire
DSC_0782.JPG

Little bit at a time takes patience
DSC_0783.JPG

Still Impressed!
Great weld work, btw. It just disappears!

~No work of art is truly complete, the artist just stops working on it.
(paraphrased an old adage)

You have room inside the body panels to hide a large autogyro stabilizer the keeps the bike level at all times :D

I've almost done the other side now. I'm going to need to spend some serious time on this if I have any hope of finishing in time!
My target finish date is actually earlier than the build off finish date. I want to debut the bike at a VW show on Sunday 31st August. As it is at the moment, I have no chance!

I'm taking the day off work to crack on with this.
Moving on to the side bulges, I began using a bossing mallet and shot bag to rough out the shape.
DSC_0830.JPG

DSC_0831.JPG

If I kept at it this is all I would need to finish it. However, since i have access to some cool machinery, I continued on the power hammer
DSC_0832.JPG

And finally smoothed it out using the English wheel.
The body file was used to highlight the low areas. These areas were lifted using hammers, slappers (also called spoons or flippers) and dollies.
DSC_0834.JPG

Once I was happy, a light sand over with 320 grit.

Just when you think that this can't get any sexier!! BAMMM!
This build was already rated R. It's getting close to being X rated. :D

Latest posts

Back