The uGlY fIxIe thread is back!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
20190529_182142.jpg

Same here! There is one dutch fabricator left (Gazelle) and I don't know for sure if they build their own frames.
In Belgium there is a brand called "Achielle", these bikes are affordable and handmade. They look retro. A bit more on topic: They don't sell fixies, but they have a "Pathracer" called "Sam".
4501168838_a116f4e81f_b.jpg

The Achielle Omer is very cool looking bike Hand made frame with Fat Franks .

ACHI-16-2.jpg
Super cool looking bike...but, BartRidesEternal and I have differing ideas of 'affordable' :grin:.

Looks similiar to a '59ish Hawthorne lightweight I have...(not my pic)...

6391583285_c57be85345_b.jpg

Well...the plan is for it to be my road bike :bigsmile:. I have the parts to go with a Nexus 7 or 8 rear rim, 700c...AND...a patterson/metropolis 2spd bottom bracket. So, at a glance it will look kinda single speed-ish, but in reality it will be a 14spd or 16spd. I think having a draggy IGH in back and combining that with a draggy transmission in front is probably going to result in a super draggy ride :grin:. But, I'll give it a shot...see how it rolls.

Super cool looking bike...but, BartRidesEternal and I have differing ideas of 'affordable' :grin:.

Looks similiar to a '59ish Hawthorne lightweight I have...(not my pic)...

View attachment 108668

That's a common thing in "hipster-oriented" companies. There's one that I know of here in PL that is named Baluma. They usually make "custom" fixies (just to remind - Fixies are not street legal in Poland), but recently they made a thing they called a "classic racing bike". Steel frame, cheapest Sunrace parts (copies of Shimano Eagle derailleurs), track handlebars (on a 10spd!) And for a price that you can buy 5 classic Peugeots or ZZR racing bikes. Yeah, cheap and affordable...

Well...the plan is for it to be my road bike :bigsmile:. I have the parts to go with a Nexus 7 or 8 rear rim, 700c...AND...a patterson/metropolis 2spd bottom bracket. So, at a glance it will look kinda single speed-ish, but in reality it will be a 14spd or 16spd. I think having a draggy IGH in back and combining that with a draggy transmission in front is probably going to result in a super draggy ride :grin:. But, I'll give it a shot...see how it rolls.
Never heard of a 2 speed BB . Had to look it up and get my lesson
for today . Keep us informed how draggy it turns out !

That's a common thing in "hipster-oriented" companies. There's one that I know of here in PL that is named Baluma. They usually make "custom" fixies (just to remind - Fixies are not street legal in Poland), but recently they made a thing they called a "classic racing bike". Steel frame, cheapest Sunrace parts (copies of Shimano Eagle derailleurs), track handlebars (on a 10spd!) And for a price that you can buy 5 classic Peugeots or ZZR racing bikes. Yeah, cheap and affordable...
Any pictures of it?

I think I found the ClAsSiC rAcInG bIkE.
IMGP3008.JPG

It is like one of my builds.
20191105_155840.jpg

Here is another BaLuMa bike that is worse.
IMGP7968.JPG

I do like those bars a lot though. They remind me of an old Free Spirit.
3423883109_d8b38aae45_z.jpg

This is not a Surly. It is a cheap Schwinn with a Surly fork. It had a BMX stem and BMX handlebars. It also had 2 carbon threadless headset spacers between the stem and the top nut. It is threaded headset.
View attachment 108329
They were giving the frame away for free, and I almost took it. I did not take it because that frame is too cheap and embarrassing to be seen on.

I think I found the ClAsSiC rAcInG bIkE.
View attachment 108684

That's the one!

https://www.baluma.pl/product_info....d=573&osCsid=02d77e9c1c421aba3fc9f98fa9b23a58

They don't mention any of the producers when it comes to wheel parts (but one can see from the photos, that those are probably Joytech or Quando hubs & rims the same as Kellys Draft). Cheapest parts all over (the best description is about that chineese seat - Natural Vegan Leather :21: ) And they're charging 2500PLN for it (about 630$).

For 500PLN less (130$ less) you can buy this:
https://allegro.pl/oferta/unikatowy-rower-szosowy-chesini-columbus-campagnol-8538592579

I made these 2 as experimental bikes. The frames were both donated because they had odd sized seatposts. The stem from the silver bike went on my Little Schwinn.
fwefwd.jpg

b.jpg

Does that green one have a rear hub on the front that has the brake operated by a line?

Yes, It's a cobbled together rear Bendix Red Band hub with the fork spread, the fork axle slots enlarged, a brake arm attachment welded onto the fork, a spring to bring the hub back and the ball inside the hub welded shut so it wouldn't rotate so the brake would grab right away. Didn't work very well as you could not get enough leverage with a hand brake. I tried different brakes levers, long pull and short pull. The long pull pulled further but then the force is reduced. It barley scrubbed off any speed. It was a head scratcher for people who saw it. The frame was made from a girls bike and an old cheap mountain bike rear triangle. Homemade seat post too. I finally broke the frame riding single track, but it lasted all summer.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back