The Wild One

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
1953 was a good year. Marlon Brando starred in what was arguably the first biker movie, " The Wild One" and Lincoln, distributed by Chicago Cycle supply company, put out this 20" balloon tired cruiser in the same year. Schwinn built using leftovers, it came as a skiptooth. A Shimano 3 speed coaster was fitted with a new skiptooth cog to create a one off hub laced to a chrome 20 x 2 rim with a Carlisle Stud 2.125 wide. A Schwinn OCC Stingray gave up it's fork to be cut down for that Wild One cycle look. Front tread is a vintage 20 x 1.75 from cheng shun. Ratty apes wearing black Schwinn grips complete the 2of3 rule. White repop bow pedals, working headlight, Shimano shifter and chrome riveted saddle finish off the look. It's The Wild One.

final3.jpg
Found at a flea market looking so sad...
DSC00951.JPG

Link to the build thread HERE

Carl.

Last edited:
It's all about the stance of this bad boy. Nice work!

Oozing attitude. This bike would kick my a.... Love the moto bars, too, even though we can’t see ‘em here.

What’s next, man?

furyus

Oozing attitude. This bike would kick my a.... Love the moto bars, too, even though we can’t see ‘em here.

What’s next, man?

furyus
The moto bars are back on now, this is such a small bike tho, just 21.5" at the top tube by the shifter. When my recording studio gets setup, it will be hanging up near the 9' ceiling angled down like its banking...

Next? Old School for the Big Build Off,
Maybe called Loc Nar...

Carl.

Cool little bike, looks much better than it did to start with, although I would have preferred the banana stay on it! :p

:banana:
Yeah I get the banana seat thing and I guarantee I'll be losing votes for not having one. But my vision was a motorcycle tribute, and motorcycles don't have banana seats. In the build thread there were a couple mockups with banana seats but they just never felt like they belonged on it.

Carl.

That's a Rooke Customs...one of the reasons Jesse Rooke is one of my favorite builders is that his builds have a base in bicycles. A lot of single downtube, very schwinny tanks and springers. I think that is the only Rooke with a banana seat, however (it does look a little...odd).

That's a Rooke Customs...one of the reasons Jesse Rooke is one of my favorite builders is that his builds have a base in bicycles. A lot of single downtube, very schwinny tanks and springers. I think that is the only Rooke with a banana seat, however (it does look a little...odd).
Well I definitely don't want to offend any builder especially a professional but... odd is a perfect adjective. Some folks miss the point here too. I built a tribute to a 1953 Motorcycle movie starring Marlon Brando called The Wild One. Arguably the first biker movie, you can see the germ of the idea just by looking at the bike as I found it. It looked like a little 1950's motorcycle.

Carl.

To nail the 'Wild One' vibe, probably a b66/67 brooks on a 90degree layback post with a faux passenger pad on the fender would have nailed it. Could have looked to busy. The little guy looks great as is :thumbsup:.
Thanks. I probably should have slammed the seat. I was looking for a crash bar and leather fringe too. But never thought of the fender pad... cool idea.

Carl.

Latest posts

Back