RRBBO13 THICK as a BRICK <Last peek!>

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+2 ^ on leaving the amber. Scratches, smatches. This is Rat Rod Bikes, not Pristine Rod Bikes! :bigsmile:

Ugh! I love it when you're pressed for time and you end up having to deal with problems that shouldn't be problems!

Tonight I was messing around with some crank and chain wheel things and just couldn't get things to fit right. Took everything off to investigate and I'm 98% sure my crank shaft is installed backwards! Easy fix, right? Not so fast, turns out none of my bottom bracket tools will clear the long, fat bike shaft. I would have to drill one out (which I may do) to fit over the shaft and then wrench it with an adjustable wrench. For now though, after fiddling with it a bit and taking into consideration what I want to do, I think I can juuust make it work for now, until I have time to make it right.

The weird thing is, I rode this bike after I bought it, and I have never messed with the bottom bracket. Just to be sure I got the original cranks out thinking they might be a different offset or something and they really don't fit right either! It's almost like it was put together wrong but good enough that it worked. In my mind, the correct bottom bracket and crank assembly would have the same amount of axle showing through each crank, but if I do it that way I get like 3/4 inch clearance on the non-drive side, and basically none on the drive side. Looking at the bottom bracket shaft it sure looks like if I turned it around everything would even up:

IMG_5342.JPG

I know this bike has some crazy frame offsets, but at least where the cranks turn the chainstays are equal distance from the center of the frame. Am I wrong in thinking the shaft should be longer on the drive side, where the sprocket is?

IMG_5343.JPG
IMG_5344.JPG

Wasn't anticipating dealing with this, but as long as I can get the crank arms to clear the frame I'll be ok.

Can you slide the crank arms on the splined BB spindle, tighten them down, and then measure the distance between the chain stay and the crank arm at the threaded pedal hole. The distances should be the same or very close. And it is common for the amount of BB spindle showing to be different on each side.

Don't screw in BB have opposite threads on each side to help stop them unscrewing themselves during riding? That would indicate, assuming a cartridge type BB that it can't be put in backwards. I'm assuming cartridge BB because there are no adjustments visible.

Can you pop the crank/chainring on and check the chain line?

Does look weird though.

Welp, problem solved, I guess...

After reading responses here I decided to put the original setup back on with spacers and everything. The shaft was pretty deep in the crank on the drive side, but I still could get the end bolt on. I tightened it up, and tightened, and tightened...then the shaft started getting smaller on the other side. Turns out you can move this shaft wherever you dang well please in this bottom bracket. Placement is controlled by spacers and how much you tighten the end cap on each side. Don't know that I've ever came across one like this before, maybe I did and just wasn't paying attention. I always thought the offset was fixed.

Anyway, makes sense now, and makes things a lot easier to sort out! Glad I didn't spend all night drilling out one of my tools!

IMG_5345.JPG
IMG_5346.JPG

Oh yeah, I got a sexy new chainwheel. More on the story behind that later...

IMG_5347.JPG

And people say I go over the top :D. Rock on brother! This is cool fun stuff.

A few more details before the beauty shots are revealed. I think me and another 80-90 rat rodders will be spending the afternoon tomorrow doing a photo shoot of their bikes! Everyone wants to get that last detail in.

Here's a few more things I got nailed down.

Federal law says every bike has to have a chain guard, right?:

IMG_5371.JPG

Did all the "little" things to the "exhaust" today. Here is how it is looking:

IMG_5373.JPG
IMG_5374.JPG
IMG_5375.JPG

I'm anxious to shoot the "real" pics. I think it'll photograph well. Riding it from my porch to my garage counts as riding, doesn't it?

Ride video or it didn't happen! :bigsmile:

That top down photo (second from the bottom) really shows off the lines and flow of your doodadery. Get a good flat background for your final shot so we can see all the details. Nice tie in with the gold and silver on that dark red frame!

You are definitely supersizing the scale of everything to match the fatty bike!
Get them pics posted!

Latest posts

Back