This might work!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I want a wide rim but don't want to spend big bucks for an 80mm rim.
Here's my idea:
1. Get two regular 26" hoops (rims) and put them together (bolt or rivet), so the spoke holes (twice the number as your hub) line up evenly and the valve stem holes are 180 out. Since they are 1.5" each, that would make a 3" wide rim, 77mm.
1587756950695.png

2. Lace the rim to your hub using just the outside alternating spoke holes. The inside holes are empty
3. Use a 26 x 3" tire and two standard 26" x 1.5" inner tubes and 2 good rim strips.

Now you have two valve stems to air up on a 3" wide wheel with 3" wide tire. The valve stems at 180 will balance the wheel.

And as an extra bonus, If one tube gets a leak, the other will still hold the tire up (in theory) enough to get it home.

Worth a try at least.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't think 2 1.5" tubes will have enough volume for a 3" tire.
2 1.5 in tubes side by side would be 3 in wide, but still only 1.5 in tall.

Surface area for a 1.5 in circle is 1.767" double that for two tubes =3.534"
Surface area for a 3.0 in circle is 7.068"

I don't think 2 1.5" tubes will have enough volume for a 3" tire.
2 1.5 in tubes side by side would be 3 in wide, but still only 1.5 in tall.

Surface area for a 1.5 in circle is 1.767" double that for two tubes =3.534"
Surface area for a 3.0 in circle is 7.068"
Maybe I should just spend the extra few bucks on wide rims. My 3" inner tubes showed up yesterday. A lot depends on what is available in the Philippines. The 57mm 3G copper rims would be perfect for the 3" tires, unless I found some 80mm rims.
xndahg.jpg

I have seen two rims laced together on the german forum and AFAIK it worked. I really can't remember how they solved the inner tube issue, but many of them roll on wide rims with not too wide tires - which laterally streches and thus flattens the tire significantly, so it becomes low profile tire. So maybe he was able to use two inner tubes. I could look it up for you if you like.
Now I think, to fill the 3" tire can't you take two wider tubes?
There are also hub flange adapters from 36 to 72 (?) or 36 to 144 holes - so you could technically use more spokes.

Also: "3. Use a 26 x 3" tire and two standard 26" x 1.5" inner tubes and 2 good rim strips. " - maybe worth to try wider tubes - 2" or 2,125" or similar width, something that would expand more and fill the tire better.

a pair of 2.125 tubes would get a total area of 7.092 in. so that would fill the tire. the odd shape of the two tubes on two rims inside one tire may lead to punctures.

I would tack weld the rims together in 3 places 120 deg. apart and go with 72 spokes.

keep us posted, should be interesting to see.

a pair of 2.125 tubes would get a total area of 7.092 in. so that would fill the tire. the odd shape of the two tubes on two rims inside one tire may lead to punctures.

I would tack weld the rims together in 3 places 120 deg. apart and go with 72 spokes.

keep us posted, should be interesting to see.
My hub would need 72 holes and I've never laced up a wheel. I foresee some problems. :headbang:

If I can't get wide rims, I will give this a try. I'll document the process as I go along.

Latest posts

Back