Tire review DA HANKS! bontrager!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got da HAnks! Ordered the Hank tires online from Trek, showed up in less than a week. Hands down the best fat tires I've ever ridden, way better than any Maxxi, Specialized or Continental tire. I was thinking about finding a set of Quick Bricks or a Schwallabe tires, glad I didn't.
I have them at about 55 PSI but they are so soft I keep checking to see if I have a flat or slow leak. They roll over bumps and cracks really nice. On smooth pavement it's ridiculous, no rolling resistance no noise. Not to bad on grass and dirt either as far as bumpiness.

here they are out of the box
P1010775.jpg

Had to do something about those logos. The sidewall is very thin on these, so I abandoned the sanding/ scrapping/solvent method and just painted over the logos with a little vinyl spray paint.
P1010776.jpg

then the Hanks got mad and trampled the previous tires, Cheng Shin's I believe
P1010781.jpg

As far as drawbacks. They definitely have a thin sidewall you could gash it on a curb or something. They totally changed the handling of the bike, way more twitchy. Almost a little hard to ride with no hands. So they feel a little less stable, but way more maneuverable. They skid a little too easy with the coaster brake, I'm expecting to slide out and crash next time it rains. Confident in cornering despite no treads. Definitely worth the 60 bucks for the pair, best upgrade I've made to this bike.

Ive had a set of these for about a month, and I love them! I have been riding on the street and beach with them, they are super quiet and smoooth.
IMG_0954.jpg

I've had a pair for about a year. Put 75 psi in them and you'll think you're pedaling a road bike. If the 50's ballooners had these tires back then, we'd all still be riding ballooners. :wink: Gary

could my LBS order them in? they have a whole line of bontragers.

The thin sidewalls on high quality balloons like those reduce the energy drained by flexing along the bottom as it rolls, as well as the obvious weight reduction.

My LBS Trek dealer had a Groupon recently ($50 for $25).
I think I am going to use it to get a pair of Hanks.
Is there any difference between the redline and non redline Hanks?

B607 said:
Redlines make your bike look faster. :p Gary
DSC04009.jpg

I agree, that is why I just ordered a set of red line Hanks from my LBS Trek dealer. I used a Groupon that I had from them, so I ended getting the Hanks for only $33 for the pair!!!!

Latest posts

Back