TOOL FIXES! Bike specific or otherwise.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is what I do for cone wrenches. I have a inexpensive set of metric combination wrenches made in India that I bought for super cheap long ago. Instead of buying cone wrenches I take one of these wrenches in the size I need, clamp it into my bench vise, and use a angle grinder to get the open end to the correct thickness for cone nuts. So far they have worked well and not spread or broken. Pic of the 13mm I ground down recently for my Nieces bike.

GEDC0041.JPG
GEDC0042.JPG

I have a trick of using a pair of vise grips on the valve stem of your inner tube to keep it from being pushed down in the rim when using a non chuck locking inflator on your compressor that I will try to post a pic of some time.

I've done that to a small, cheap Harbor Freight adjustable wrench too. Handy when you need an extra one of the same size as your real cone wrench. cones don't normally require a lot of wrench pressure, so this should survive well.

Returning a broken wrench that broke because you ground it down is not ethical in my opinion. I have only done this modification to inexpensive wrenches. If I was to do it to a guaranteed name brand and if it was to break, I would view that as my fault. Not the fault of the wrench or the manufacturer.

only time ive done it is when the bresk was unrelated to the modification it was not no itension of cheating anyone out of a $20 wrench

is it the same adaptor for all schwinn cassets ? i always wanted one , but i been told there is like 20 different kind of adaptors and i always have to go to the lbs to get them removed , ($_$)
Here is a cheap answer for a freewheel puller I use. Grind down a bolt head to fit in the slots, hammer it in, put it in the vice and twist it off. Here is a picture of one of mine.

Last edited:
Here is a cheap answer fora freewheel puller I use. Grind down a bolt head to fit in the slots, hammer it in, put it in the vice and twist it off. Here is a picture of one of mine.
but you have to remove the axel :S i just put the axel in a vice and use a flat screwdriver and a hammer

i never knew what that tool was for , but never used it ...
that is untill i needed a special tool for the bearing cones lock nuts on my old Sach 3speed kickback hub ..
its like a round washer with 2 slots in it ..
needed the tool to be 1/8' thick at most ..
so this unknown tool was the perfect candidate to pass through the grinder ..
DSCN6701_zpseh26mz3k.jpg

Next time you need to break a chain on a deraileur equipped bike, or especially when you want to put it back together, bend an old spoke like this to hold the chain while you fumble with the ends and the tool.

Attachments

• IMG_1172.JPG
    IMG_1172.JPG
    252.2 KB · Views: 174

Latest posts

Back