Top Fool

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went over the frame, rear suspension, and lower fork with finishing putty today. I'll give it the final prime tomorrow.

The gold ice pearl should be here Monday.

I decided to go with candy root beer to go with the candy gold. I just ordered it and I think it took about a week to get the gold, so with luck I'll be painting next week.

Tick tock,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

...ummmm....root beer!:inlove:

Good news and some minor bad news.

The replacement front tire has been measured to insure it's a 406, and is on it's way. A local body shop has offered me part time work, a great pair of guys to work with, I really enjoy working with them!

Unfortunately, it's going to cut into the time to work on the Fool.

Paint samples on plastic spoons. Top pic, black base with gold ice pearl. Bottom pic, graphite metallic base, silver mini flake, covered in Aztec gold candy with root beer candy fogging.

P1110928.jpg

P1120931.jpg

Last edited:
I like the top one, with a little gold flake in the metallic black. Should make your other gold parts really stand out!
PaiNT oN~!

I am absolutely beyond angry. The morons at Gap30 bicycles screwed me on my front tire. After sending a 451 that was (and still is) advertised as a 406, they promised to get a new tire and measure it before sending it out 1st class mail. They sent the exact same tire as before and it was not sent 1st class.

I haven't given up, but the chances are slim to none of me finishing by the deadline.

I am absolutely beyond angry. The morons at Gap30 bicycles screwed me on my front tire. After sending a 451 that was (and still is) advertised as a 406, they promised to get a new tire and measure it before sending it out 1st class mail. They sent the exact same tire as before and it was not sent 1st class.

I haven't given up, but the chances are slim to none of me finishing by the deadline.
I think you have invested so much time and work that in the worst case scenario you should just opt for another wheel and finish in time even it is not just exactly how you want it. For us voters a different wheel/tire wouldn't matter that much, considering the interesting frame and all the details on the bike.
After the BO is done you can always take your time to find exactly what you needed. :)
Since I am not a fan of muscle bikes, and don't care for 20" wheels and smaller either, your project is the only one I am following on this BO.

Spike said it well. ( Except for this part: "Since I am not a fan of muscle bikes, and don't care for 20" wheels and smaller either, your project is the only one I am following on this BO." HUHH?? :21:)

So, slap in a front wheel / tire combo, get that beautiful paint flowing, and finish this wild build up! :thumbsup:

I sorta agree with Spike. The restrictions on this bo are making a lot of the bikes very similar. I'm still following, but the interest isn't at the same level. Carl is breaking the mold, and that other guy too, but I have learned from this build off: I ain't a muscle guy

*i forgot what thread I was reading... When I said "that other guy" I was being vague, cuz there's actually a few of em I'm into. This is one of em right here... Hope you come up with something to get you across the finish line, Psycho G

I'll edit my above statement to say "I ain't a traditional muscle guy". Toro, I didn't have a BMX as a kid either, family was too poor. All my homies did, and I had serious bike envy. BMX didn't make the regulations for this build off. I was grumpy about it, it's why I didn't enter. And I have a muscle mixte waiting to get finished

I wasn't being clear enough, posting furtively at work. I should have said "my BMX didn't make regulations", or more accurately, "neither of my bikes..."
"Class 1
1: Rear tire larger than the front. (Wider or taller or both.)
2: Banana seat.
3: Muscle bike appropriate bars. (Apehangers, steering wheels...)
You can have all three options!

Class 2 is the WBO and the requirement this time is all tires must be under 21" overall diameter, we would love to see BMX, Scramblers, MiniVelos, Scooters, Kids bikes etc, you get the idea."

My mixte is 24"x20, no nanner for me, and BMX bars. Can't meet either class' requirement. My BMX is 24". Also can't meet either class' requirement.

This is one heck of a hijack on Psycho's thread. Perhaps we can continue on Build Discussion thread if anyone has more to say.
Press on , Psychographic, we're with you

Last edited:
I've got a black frame. I'm not happy with the chaingaurd, the bodywork swelled. I'll wait till tomorrow to see if it settles down enough to put the gold pearl on.

I also have a front tire.

Time is getting very tight.

Big and little. I'm going to have to re-dish the back wheel to get 1st and 2nd gear. There is a spacer on the drive side, so I'm hoping I can cut it down and split it to use on both sides to keep the tire centered. Or maybe just move it to the other side if needed. That will have to wait until after the deadline.

P1210939.jpg

I found some nice looking gold cables.

Brake,

Brake Cables.jpg
Shift,

Derailleur Cables.jpg

I still need the tubing for the wheelie bars, crank dust covers, and some gold chains.

Update, as the solvents evaporate out, the swelling of the filler has gone down to an almost livable amount.

Last edited:
Lousy pics, but she's sparkly! There are shades of green and orange in the gold pearl. Unlike the HOK ice pearl, this doesn't seem to disappear in the shade. It's hard to judge without a gloss finish.

P1210941.jpg
P1210942.jpg

I ordered 3 gold chains tonight, I hope my math is correct and the rear is 3/32. According to my micrometer, the sprockets measured from 1.88mm to 1.91mm. It was hard to get an accurate measurement while on the wheel.

With luck I'll clear it tomorrow after work, then give it a couple of days before scuffing and adding the graphics.

I just might make it.

Latest posts

Back