Tribute to our friends

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a factory phat stretch and I am jealous of the welds on your bike. I just notices a big blob on the tank. They didn't even bother to grind it down :( I'm moving back into my house this month and my first project is to build my own stretch. I just hope I can keep up with you two.

Fireproof said:
My dad (Fireproof) and I are building a new OCC chopper to replace my bike that was stolen after this year's Rat Bike Rodeo. Look here for some background info . . . viewtopic.php?f=1&t=31862

We had some frames and parts kicked down to us by RRB forum members Kuttnhack and davethecreep to get us started . . . THANKS GUYS!
I decided that since I’m getting taller, I better make this bike a bigger one . . . and thus, my new, stretched OCC chopper was born. The first step was to take measurements from my dad’s Schwinn Spoiler and from a stock OCC bike and then compare them. I then decided that while the difference was about nine inches, I would stretch it two thirds of the way towards the Spoiler . . . six inches.

This has taken a while. I hope the bike doesn't need to be stretched again. :wink: What I'm saying is. Please finish it soon so we can see it in all it's glory. :)

Awsome build cant wait to see some more progress on this one. Not to mention it makes me look foward to my girls being old enough to go into the shop with me and work!

Thanks for all the compliments! You guys inspire us to keep building!

Thanks greg66, the DREMEL ended up doing the job.

'Your Mama is so...' All the best on your bike project!

YOUBUGME2 said:
it makes me look foward to my girls being old enough to go into the shop with me and work!
You should get your girls out into the garage as soon as you can, even if it's just to try on goggles and earplugs, or to hand you a wrench. And a pair of pink work gloves would be cute too! :wink:

So, I started out by tracing the outline of a hunk of .060" aluminum my dad found under our toolbox onto paper so I could utilize the maximum amount of material. I cut out an outline and traced it onto the metal so that my dad cut out the shape with the cutoff wheel. I also marked the center lines to drill a hole for a T-nut, as shown here.
seatpan186.jpg

I then bent the material to fit and center-punched eight holes an half inch in and drilled them with a Unibit, along with four holes for the 1/4-20 T-nut. I am here tracing the holes onto the seat base to be drilled.
seatpan189.jpg

After drilling the holes, I hammered in t-nuts.
seatpan193.jpg

Then I test-fit it with the screws.
seatpan194.jpg

The next step was to put the 1/4-20 T-nut in the first hole I drilled and bend the tabs back. This will be the thing that holds the seat in place, once I have the screw in.
seatpan197.jpg

Here are the three components, ready to be assembled.
seatpan198.jpg

My dad found the base of an old office chair in the dumpster behind the shop. The best garbage in town ends up in that dumpster! :lol: Notice there are three holes drilled in the side.
seatpan169.jpg

Notice this 1/4-20 nut has the six "corners" ground off.
seatpan165.jpg

The screw was used to hold the nut in place so it could be welded through the holes in the tubes. Notice that it has been drilled through the center with a 1/4" drill bit and it now creates a step inside the tube.
seatpan178.jpg

We cut the tube off the office chair, cleaned it up with the grinder, and bolted it to the assembled seat base.
seatpan199.jpg

We then used the Unibit to drill a BIG hole in the seat pan. This was taken looking up from beneath.
seatpan201.jpg

This is after it being tacked in. You can tell that on the first tack (the one on the left ) that my dad forgot to turn the gas on. :oops: He ground that tack down before he finished welding the tube in place.
seatpan203.jpg

This is after being welded all the way around.
seatpan207.jpg

A little work with the grinder cleaned it up nicely, didn't it? Look closely and you can see the stainless steel 'button head' screw we will use to tie down the seat base.
seatpan214.jpg

And there ya have it. The finished base ready to be padded and upholstered. :mrgreen:
seatpan217.jpg

Fireproof said:
Fahrrad said:
This is really cool. It reminds me of my sister and Dad getting her '66 VW on the road.
Funny you should mention that . . . you'll never guess what she is wanting for her next project!!!!

Wait until she gets transmission gear oil in her hair. That will make you laugh.

I don't get on RRB very often, but I caught your build last night and was totally blown away!! Keep up the great work. I'm looking forward to seeing the completed project...

midwestthunder said:
I don't get on RRB very often, but I caught your build last night and was totally blown away!! Keep up the great work. I'm looking forward to seeing the completed project...
What's not to get? RatRod Bikes is about taking the tired, average factory stuff and turning into one's personal vision of an object of utility and beauty. Like taking a tired old six banger Chevy, dropping in a 350 4-speed w/ decent upholstry, killer paint . . . turning it into a head-turning piece of rolling thunder. Bicycles are a lot less expensive, much better for the environment and good exercise. You get it, or you wouldn't be in a car club.
This young lady is an artist with vision & talent, a supportive father, and she isn't afraid of power tools. I'm deeply impressed.

Elmer said:
midwestthunder said:
What's not to get? RatRod Bikes is about taking the tired, average factory stuff and turning into one's personal vision of an object of utility and beauty. Like taking a tired old six banger Chevy, dropping in a 350 4-speed w/ decent upholstry, killer paint . . . turning it into a head-turning piece of rolling thunder. Bicycles are a lot less expensive, much better for the environment and good exercise. You get it, or you wouldn't be in a car club.
This young lady is an artist with vision & talent, a supportive father, and she isn't afraid of power tools. I'm deeply impressed.

i think he ment that he doesnt get on the site very ofter not that he dont get the RRB...i mean thats what i got from his post..
this is and has some awesome work dont to it looking way better the stock version with all this fab work cant wait to see the paint thrown on this beut....

You two are my heroes!

May I ask a favor? Can you give us a pic of the whole frame so far? I'm trying to put this all together in my brain and it hurts....a little. :roll:

I showed this thread to my 11 year old daughter and she said "WOW! That girl is amazing! She needs her own TV show on Discovery or History Channel!

I'm thinking she's right.

Maybe 'Chopper People' or '19 Bikes and Counting'

Keep it up guys.

Cheers,
Dr. T

Dr. Tankenstein said:
You two are my heroes!

May I ask a favor? Can you give us a pic of the whole frame so far? I'm trying to put this all together in my brain and it hurts....a little. :roll:

I showed this thread to my 11 year old daughter and she said "WOW! That girl is amazing! She needs her own TV show on Discovery or History Channel!

I'm thinking she's right.

Maybe 'Chopper People' or '19 Bikes and Counting'

Keep it up guys.

Cheers,
Dr. T
i like the 19 bikes and counting has a nice ring to it... :lol:

Hey you two! If you're still looking for a piece of foam for your seat, it just so happens the Vulture used to do auto and boat seats for his friends, and I have 2 nice size pieces of foam! (in 2 different densities) and they are YOURS if you so wish :mrgreen:

you have my #. shoot me a text or call me! 8)

I spent a very enjoyable couple hours checking out this build (on dialup :roll: ), and really don't think I can add anything that hasn't already been said-- Wow! Don't know what's mo' better, what you two have done with this, or just the fact that a father and daughter are just doing 'the right thing' and chronicling it, sharing it with the whole world.

Methinks Dr. T's daughter has a great idea about this being a TV show :wink:
(hope your brain is feeling better Dr. T :mrgreen: )

Beautiful work! That seat pan with the recessed screw boss is too cool! One good source of dense foam that I use for seats is sleeping bag ground cover. It's tough, thin, and dense enough to give a nice cushion without completely collapsing when you sit on it.

John

Latest posts

Back