Triple tree mounting

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been having some issues mounting my triple tree front fork to my Hyper cruiser frame. The issue is that the head tube is longer than the steer tube allows. The new fork is threadless, and I bought a threadless stem, but it will long have maybe 3/8 of the tube protruding to hold on to. Do you think it would be ok to put the stock stem into the steer tube and run it like that. Also, it has pulled the forks up so the tire is close to contact with the steer tube. I will have to shorten. Should I just find a metal tube the same diameter and cut it to a longer length?
c10ac92ef71aadc5ae9964759da0ee70.jpg
c33f17c48be06e4fa242623017184a81.jpg

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

I did not quite grasp what have pulled the fork and why there is no clearance between the steerer tube and the tire.
You technically could use that stem there, but then you would have to tighten the fork crown first. Usually you use star nut and a stem cap on the threadless headset to adjust the crown position and tighten the bearings. If you won't do that your bearings will be loose and soon destroy. If you surely want to use your stem with this fork, make sure to tighten it well with the threaded rod and nuts on washers on both ends first, and then after tightening the bolts on your fork crowns put the stem.
I see you have both of your crowns with the bolt, is there an option to move the whole steerer higher? Haven't seen ones like that before.
Another way out for you is to use the piece of tube that has 1-1/8 inch on top and 1 inch on the bottom, and just hammer it in like an extension. I have seen this done by one gentleman in the Netherlands, and it held surprisingly well.
But of course the easiest way is just to weld the steerer longer.

The head on the frame is longer than what this fork was made for. My fault, I didn't check the measurements. So because of that, the top plate is further away from the lower plate, which is pulling the fork tubes up higher

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

I have cut the head tube on frames maybe 1/2 inch a couple of times to make a fork work. Not bad just keep the cut straight and dress up with a grinder.

Latest posts

Back