"Trot Rot"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It begins! Frame came in today from Fat Willy. Nicely packed. As you can see I didn't purchase the whole bike. My object is to have the best, woman's Columbia Thunderbolt Bicycle... converted to a scooter, scooter... in the Build Off.......already WINNING! (as long as nobody else enters a woman's Columbia Thunderbolt Bicycle, converted to a scooter, scooter)
IMG_2505.JPG

Last edited:
Here's where the frame will be cut (you're gonna have to use your imagination).
The red lines are where it will be cut. The black lines will be part of the cut off seat tube, relocated farther back. That will be the rear of the scoot. What's not showing is, the yet to be determined, dropouts.
The twin down tubes will be cut at the yellow lines, FLIPPED upside down, welded back on, so they turn downward. They will now be able to be attached to a tubular deck (to be fabricated). An 18" tubular deck will go between the two frame sections.

For a scooter to be comfortable to kick for a long period of time there are a few guidelines to follow. The first is the footboard (deck). It should never be higher than 3". Higher than that will quickly start causing fatigue and (serious) knee pain. My goal is to make this an extremely comfortable, safe, performance scoot. And at the same time look like a ratty old barn find. I want it to be perfect for scootin around neighborhoods, bike paths, campgrounds, in comfort.

FORGOT: The fenders will be used also.

IMG_2508.JPG

For those that have time to check this out.

There's no better thread for this, than here. It might be a little off the build topic. I hope you enjoy this.

A 34 year old French woman that was a graphic designer, gave up everything, to tour the world on a Kickbike. No crew, no backup, just her camera and EVERYTHING she owns in life. She just wanted a "simple" vagabond lifestyle. She's been at it for two years now, and doesn't plan on stopping until she's kicked across the world. If you have the time, check out her website (she obviously has a lap top). Check out her photos on the homepage, and in the "on the road" section at the top. She's living an adventure that few people have the guts to do.

http://www.wot.latrottineuse.com/en/world-tour-push-scooter/

Last edited:
IMG_2547.JPG
I got rid of all my "stuff"! Here's a mock up of where I want to go. I used a (ahem) PVC pipe to figure out the length. Everything is taped in place. I still have to mock up some rear dropouts. I decided to go with a 20" rear wheel. I don't know anything about BMX bikes, but the hub says GT on it. It has sealed bearings and seems to roll forever. I'll be getting another front rim and tires this week. There will be two more side tubes on the frame. They'll reach up, curve back and grab the downtube on each side.....OH! It felt pretty good to actually start building something! Although it's not a complex build, I'm having fun.

Last edited:
I like how it looks but I wonder if that laid back chopper style steering is going to cooperate with a scooter...
Carl.

I like how it looks but I wonder if that laid back chopper style steering is going to cooperate with a scooter...
Carl.
I'll find out! :bigsmile: I'll probably take some of the rake out, although I do like the way it looks. The most important thing is to keep the deck at no higher than 3". I may add a few inches to the down tube, if I take any of the rake out.

Not much to show. But Jake Sensi called everyone on page TWO, slackers! I was just about to go on page THREE! I didn't want to face the Wrath of Jake, so I'm posting something.

The last few weeks I had one niece graduate college. One granddaughter graduate high school. And one granddaughter get married! And my birthday was yesterday! It's funny when you're in your 60's, you don't know if people are coming over to say "Happy Birthday" or "Good Bye"...Now that my wallet is a lot thinner and not weighing me down, I can get back to building! I've always enjoyed building outside on the deck. It's peaceful, quiet and full of fresh air. It's now used for family get togethers, what the heck is that all about! First my wallet gets emptied, now my deck is taken away! I sometimes work in the cellar, but not crazy about being enclosed for hours. My wife said: "you know where you're going". She calls it the green box.. Not heated, not cooled, but it has lights and electricity. Well the green box will now be my "work" area instead of storage area. I just started to re-arrange it today.

The green box (as my wife calls it)

011.JPG

In the beginning, this was the only spare bike part I had left.

0509171751-01.jpg

But then I found an old orange scoot in the green box and it had to DIE!
So this was the first mock up.(notice it was still on the deck)
IMG_2571.JPG

Now that it's cut up even more, it's starting to get somewhere. There's still a lot of trimming, cutting and welding, but I now have the completed scoot in my head...and in the green box.
100_0027.JPG

So take that! Jake Sensi

This is really gonna flow well!
What a fun project to watch come to life!

The plug is 6' above the rear wheel of the scooter, right side wall.
The container is fully wired.
The pic with the bikes in it, you can spot a red Lincoln way up front.

012.JPG

Last edited:
The plug is 6' above the rear wheel of the scooter, right side wall.
The container is fully wired.
The pic with the bikes in it, you can spot a red Lincoln way up front.

View attachment 53074
Is that as in 'hot rod Lincoln'..?

:giggle::giggle::giggle: I was waiting for GuitarlCarl to ask that! That's "Odd" that you beat him to it.:bigsmile:

Looks like it's coming together well, and oh this post gets you off page two again.

Thanks Falstaff!

Not to much going on. I won't really get into it until July. Have to refill the argon tank first.

This is the FIRST time I've seen it "standing". I'm happy with the general profile and overall size. I won't be using that front tire or rim, and there will be a combo fender/rear carrier and front/rear handbrakes. I'm getting excited (over a scooter:rolleyes:) to finish it .

100_0049.JPG
100_0051.JPG

Last edited:
I'm digging the change you have made in bikes or shooters , well you what I'm trying to say . The 20" rear wheel looks great & you can't beat the sealed bearings. I'm sure you will grease the front hub also . This looks like a lot of fun . That thing would look sick with a rear fender & skirt guards .Will it have a hand break ?
Love it something different [emoji1303][emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@GuitarlCarl...You're right, it does look burrito-ish!

@G-Matt...It would look nice with rear skirts. Yes, it will have front and rear handbrakes. These things aren't fast..until you start going downhill!

It's taking me a while, because I no longer have a stash of parts. But scrounging for parts is half the fun for a rat build.

Now I can really see it!!!! And it looks awesome man!!
Great lines! What a fun build!

Maybe we need a name for that 'low slung, big front end' look for a scooter.....
"enchilada" ? "tostada"?

Latest posts

Back