Truss rod dimensions?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have dimensions (or know where I can find them) of Schwinn 26" truss rods? I'm thinking of making some from scratch but don't have a set to use as a template.

Thanks!

Prewar or postwar? Prewar are all over the place with length depending on whether it's a boys or girls frame. Postwar are all the same for boys or girls bikes. The length is 22" overall, and 21 1/2" from the top end to the center of the axle hole. You need a special top bracket, bolt and nut for factory Schwinn truss rods. Gary

I was thinking the same thing. I purchased a front Rack for my bike and it has the same bracket that is used for Truss Bars. Those are the ones that slip into the bracket and are held on by a bold and nut. Then there are the other ones which have the top of the rod threaded and it goes into a bracket with a hole in it and hut on the other side.
What about the bottom? How would you flatten the bottom of the rod, and drill a hole in it?

Let us know your progress.
Thanks

Probably best to use heat (cherry red or orange) and flatten on an anvil with a large hammer or small sledge...then drill the hole. Don't try to flatten it all at once, work your way back and forth and front and backside until it gets the shape desired.You might see something on a blacksmithing video or website that would help. Factory they were probably done in a die with a LARGE press.

3/8 brake line in a pinch. I've done it a few times. Just enough meat in ID for half-depth threads. Bending to shape and flattening ends is easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back