Tube bender....

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So NOONE (part from Luke) here bends their own tubing?

:confused:
In the USA they have Harbour Freight, you can buy a proper tube roller there for cheap, there are quite a few builders who use them.

Being a scratch frame builder puts you in a fairly small section of the members on the site, being one in Australia without the ease of finding the tools cheaply puts you in an even smaller group... I think you are one of only 3 or 4...

I recommend trying the sand method, that is my next stop...

Luke.

Yeah, I broke down and rented a garage... it's big enough to house all my bikes and tools, but then there's no room for me to work... plus it's got no electric. So, I still do most of my wrenching in the basement.

My buddy Paul has a garage, and he's been getting some stuff together (miter saw) and he's been talking about getting a TIG set-up and whatnot...a couple of us wanna get in on it with him... but it's been all talk so far.

I'll get some pics up of my shed and the ridiculous amount of stuff I keep in there one day.

Actually.
Is there a "Show your workshop" thread on this forum?
Will start one otherwise.

Always like looking at where people build stuff.

:)

I'll get some pics up of my shed and the ridiculous amount of stuff I keep in there one day.

Actually.
Is there a "Show your workshop" thread on this forum?
Will start one otherwise.

Always like looking at where people build stuff.

There is a show me your workshop thread... :grin:

Luke.

I sometimes build from scratch...

Here is one of my tubing benders, it was basically free, as I had most of the materials laying around.
I think I bought the nuts and bolts...

2 disks cut out of 3/4 in. plywood. Then the edge of each disk was beveled using my neighbor's router.
When the 2 disks were bolted together, it formed a V shape around the circumference.
I then took a half round file, and did some filing.
Then I made a little loop out of a scrap piece of strap steel and bolted it on.

The disk can be bolted down.
I bolted mine down on the top of a stump. It was also bolted to the wall of the garage for a while...
You'd be surprised what can be done with simple home made tools, for little to no cost.

I've bent 1" x .065 and 3/4" x .065 on this disk with very little effort.

There's another good resource, that I'll post, if I can find it...

Hope this can help someone...

october

Yeh that's the way.

Been thinking of turning something up on the wood lathe when I get a chance.
I have lots of big chunks of hardwood laying around which would work.

Suppose ply would be an option too, looking at your contraption there.
I do have a router and everything else required...
Hmmm.

So do you just bend it using your own weight/muscles?

Secure one end and lean on it or something?

The disk was bolted to the top of a stump, or the garage wall.
Slide the end of the tube through the loop. The tube is easier to bend if you start with a long piece, and use the leverage. You have to be careful and it does take practice. It's very easy to collapse the tube, or put a flat spot in it.

Last edited:
Here's one I made a few years back.

Bent that one piece of aluminium as shown in the video and never used it again :)

I did use some of the bits for the on I posted on page one in this thread though.
It gets a lot of use when I make my metal art.

(Can't believe that vid has 1.9 mil views haha)

The disk was bolted to the top of a stump, or the garage wall.
Slide the end of the tube through the loop. The tube is easier to bend if you start with a long piece, and use the leverage. You have to be careful and it does take practice. It's very easy to collapse the tube, or put a flat spot in it.

Yeh see, I was thinking of a setup like yours, but with a bar attached to the middle and a "roller" (don't know the correct lingo) that pushes the tube against the big part as you drag it around....

But I might still get that cheapo bottle jack type and do some mods to it....

Here's one I made a few years back.

Bent that one piece of aluminium as shown in the video and never used it again :)

I did use some of the bits for the on I posted on page one in this thread though.
It gets a lot of use when I make my metal art.

(Can't believe that vid has 1.9 mil views haha)

That's a cool homemade set up!

Latest posts

Back