turning a forktube into a seatpost

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone got any bright ideas on how to make a steer tube on a fork heavy/sturdy enough to use as a seatpost or seatpost tube?
This is the situation I'm working with...
3217176240_a6bd6a7ec2.jpg

3217176156_3fe69f7a95_b.jpg

Think about what a fork puts up with, it may be strong enough. Steerer tubes are substantially thicker at the bottom (internally butted). I would hate to find out the hard way. Maybe you could sleeve over it with a 1-1/8" tube.

That's kinda how I felt about the abuse a fork takes. But they also have bearings to support them on the top and the bottom. I thought about the 1 1/8 pipe, I also thought about a 7/8 seatpost inside(fits perfectly) and cut holes in the bottom of the forktube in about 4 different spots at the bottom so you could see the seatpost and weld it to the fork and the steertube... Maybe that's hard to understand how I'm explaining it... Wish I knew how to photoshop stuff... Any way I do it, I'm lookin' at the post being no more than two or three inches long...

If you're going to chop it to a total height of 2-3 inches, that will take away most of the torque that leverage would apply. If you haven't already, remove the bearing race from the neck and put a reinforcing weld where it used to be, or just weld it on permanently for even more strength.
Rick

I'm with rick. leave the race, weld it. That would be the weakest area of the fork tube. It will act as a nice fillet transition and give it plenty of strength. Those tubes take a bunch of abuse I bet it's strong enough on it's own, but would prefer a bit of insurance.

ok. geek time.

assume rider weight = 250
angle of seat to ground = 70 degrees
assume length of tube = 6" (0.5ft)

constructing a force triangle
forcediagram01.jpg

tan 20 = X/250
250tan 20= X
X = 90lbs

cos30 = Y/90
90cos 30 = Y
Y=78lbs

torque = 78(0.5ft) = 39 FT-LB

not too bad. But for insurance I would still do what I said above.

Thanks guys. I cut the tube down to about 2.5 inches. I was gonna do it about 3, but it looked like there was a bulge from someone over-tightening a stem in there. Turns out it was just some brazing... But when I cut it off, I discovered it has packed full of rust and dirt right to the point I cut it off at. :x and I can't seem to get it out. :x :x Plus I already cut the race off, so I'll just put a substantial weld around the tube where it meets the fork and I'll plan on using the fork tube as the seatpost. I may get some drilbits and try drilling the crap out if I decide I need a little bit taller stance, but we'll see. I'm gonna approach this like I've approached the rest of this project: Just do it and hope it works. If it doesn't, try something else. :mrgreen: Thanks again guys.

I love that bike, and can't wait to see it finished. I think this is what I would do for the seatpost:

I'd leave the amount of fork tube you have left. I wouldn't cut any more, but I would make one small vertical cut on the fork tube so that it can be clamped with a standard seat post frame tube clamp. Then I would make a series of drill holes as necessary to make it so that I could slide a seat post right through the fork tube and through the sturdiest part of the fork- the crown. (In other words, I would make it so that the seat post would slide right through where the front fender is normally screwed to the forks, underneath the crown). Then you could put a standard seat post clamp over the fork tube (with your seat post in place), get it tight, and you should have no problems, I would think... So long as the seat was staying low to reduce the leverage. This would be simple and would look good? Best of luck with the build, that is a sweet looking bike.

Latest posts

Back