U-Haul

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
U-Haul. Well yes, yes I do.

With the cold weather now a thing, I went looking for a project that didn't involve lots of odor (paint, stripper, penetrating oil, etc) that I could do indoors. I came across this and scarfed it up. Very few examples of the U-Haul rent-a-cruisers can be found on the interwebs. It is missing a few easy to round up items and sadly the bars have a kink bend. It was stored in a dry place so no major rust to clean up. My plans are to keep it as original as possible and just do a lube and polish. And then ride it like a rented mule.

20201205_145407.jpg
20201205_145326.jpg
20201205_145244.jpg
20201205_145155.jpg
20201205_150655.jpg

I dunno about that, with the bmx style fork, those caliper brakes just fit. Any chance they're Dia Comp? Any chance you want to take em off, and ship em to Canada, Couch Tater? If so, then definitely go with coaster brakes!

As always, at least partly kidding

I dunno about that, with the bmx style fork, those caliper brakes just fit. Any chance they're Dia Comp? Any chance you want to take em off, and ship em to Canada, Couch Tater? If so, then definitely go with coaster brakes!

As always, at least partly kidding
Not Dia-Comp. They are the highly desired :) Horng-Jia brakes.

I have an NOS Shimano 3S freewheel hub kit ordered for it. I got the whole enchilada for slightly more than just a pin and bell crank. I'm not too concerned about durability as it is pancake flat around here and this bike is gonna be a light duty cruiser, probably stay in 2 forever.

Finding replacement handlebars is a booger. Best match I've been able to find so far is Al's Rapid Transit cruiser bars. Gonna get some Kool-Stop salmon pads, AME grips (orange?), new cables, gumwall snakebellys. Seat should be here tomorrow, probably will need a tall post. I like to have most parts on hand before getting started wrenching, something I've learned to do from being a truck mechanic for decades, keeps things moving.

I was surprised by the shifter cable, glad to hear you're going with internal gearing, not a fan of derailleurs on cruisers
How heavy is the bike, is it like an industrial cruiser, or lighter for beach and boardwalk duty? Really starting to like this one

It's lighter duty, beach cruiser variety, I'd guess around 30 lbs. I would put the build quality a little above an American made Huffy. It has 4 brazed on cable guides for the shift cable. I've passed on some cruisers with derailleurs, I don't like the look either. These should be as clean as can be bikes to my eye.

I have the bars solved, forgot I have an NOS pair of gold Wald bmx bars with the V crossbar, should look pretty decent with the bronze levers. Still filling my shopping cart at Porkchop BMX with parts.

I think I have solved one of the great internet mysteries about these bikes. FBC is most likely First Bicycle Components, Taiwan, established 1984. FBC is still in business. These frames are stamped FBC on the LH dropout, serial number is on the right dropout. The head badge decal is also FBC. A photo of a frame out on the internet has a "Made in Taiwan" sticker on the bottom bracket which is not on mine.

Latest posts

Back