Unknown 60s 70s frame,

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A few pictures on my progress on this frame, It will be the Summer build off for me as I live in New Zealand, see below

ratrodbikes_zpsynhnvcvs.jpg

Last edited:
Cheers Glen Choice anther Kiwi!, It was good find! $20 from Te aroha, Extremely small frame, I was going to do a full resto plus paint as i do with my older english bikes, But how ever I love the Rat look and new zealands interpretation of that look,I am a massive fan of Dirty Rustic looking bikes and upcycling for me is a must!, I have set my way and cleaned majority of rust, and flaky paint, I have a nice mixture for a lacquer which I use once I am happy with how it looks,Seals it for one but adds a nice tea tinge, Im drawing up a tank to suit the bike as well, I will mount the light switch and battery pack there, I want to mount the seat above the rear wheel also so i am looking out for a thin leaf spring,

Cheers Glen Choice anther Kiwi!, It was good find! $20 from Te aroha, Extremely small frame, I was going to do a full resto plus paint as i do with my older english bikes, But how ever I love the Rat look and new zealands interpretation of that look,I am a massive fan of Dirty Rustic looking bikes and upcycling for me is a must!, I have set my way and cleaned majority of rust, and flaky paint, I have a nice mixture for a lacquer which I use once I am happy with how it looks,Seals it for one but adds a nice tea tinge, Im drawing up a tank to suit the bike as well, I will mount the light switch and battery pack there, I want to mount the seat above the rear wheel also so i am looking out for a thin leaf spring,

That was indeed a good find. I purchased a 1974 Triumph Toledo from Te Aroha about 16 months ago and drove it all the way back to Kerikeri! The brakes were terrible and the starter motor wouldn't work so I couldn't stop it with a hassle to restart it. I fixed all the issues, got it WOFed and sold it just before Christmas.

Your plans for the bike sound cool. I love upcycling too. I'll be watching with interest...

Glen.

That was indeed a good find. I purchased a 1974 Triumph Toledo from Te Aroha about 16 months ago and drove it all the way back to Kerikeri! The brakes were terrible and the starter motor wouldn't work so I couldn't stop it with a hassle to restart it. I fixed all the issues, got it WOFed and sold it just before Christmas.

Your plans for the bike sound cool. I love upcycling too. I'll be watching with interest...

Glen.
Haha good old Te aroha! good work mate!

Welcome to the build off and the best bicycle forum on the interwebs! Couple of questions right off; tell me about your term 'upcycling', who or what is Dirty Rustic (sounds like a nickname for me!), and could you show some pics / explain your process for achieving your 'tea tinge'...thanks!

I can already tell we are going to get along well :grin:

Welcome to the build off and the best bicycle forum on the interwebs! Couple of questions right off; tell me about your term 'upcycling', who or what is Dirty Rustic (sounds like a nickname for me!), and could you show some pics / explain your process for achieving your 'tea tinge'...thanks!

I can already tell we are going to get along well :grin:
Up-cycling is using the old to make something new or work again, using your spare bits and pieces off your other older bikes, We have refuse shops here in New Zealand where you can other peoples rubbish lol this is where i up cycle the most, Somethings i do not up cycle would be bearings and bottom brackets i like them brand new :D Dirty Rustic haha I was trying to describe the look i like, With the frame pictured i attacked it with a wire brush ripping off the rust and flaky paint, giving it a more rustic look than rusty :p once im happy with it I will either use watered down oil based paint extremely watered down, to brush over my lugs it gives that oily grungie look and reall pops out the lugs as it settles in grooves,then i lacquer with the tea tinge just makes it look old as kinda gives it a sepia tone to it haha, and yeah man! sure thing! next time i make a batch i will take photos and share step by step

Thanks JD for the run down! As in all things on RRB , don't be surprised if you see Dirty Rustic turn up as a term used here again....

And I will be anticipating your step-by-step on the 'tea tinge' application. Cool stuff!

Thanks JD for the run down! As in all things on RRB , don't be surprised if you see Dirty Rustic turn up as a term used here again....

And I will be anticipating your step-by-step on the 'tea tinge' application. Cool stuff!
had a peep at one of your builds! Dirty rustic for sure!

Latest posts

Back