Unknown MX

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday I dropped by our neighborhood lowrider bike shop to buy a coaster brake when I saw this 20" beauty sitting outside the shop. The owner told me he just recently acquired it and now uses it as their shop/hauler bike. He outfitted it with a trailer hitch attached to the dropouts. Before I could make an offer (he probably saw it in my eyes, hahaha) he already told me it wasn't for sale. However he said he will reserve it for me if he does decide to let it go. :-D

I assume it's a motocross frame but have never seen anything like it before. The patina is perfect too, I will leave it that way if I ever get my hands on it. Maybe you guys know what's the story of this bike?
IMG_20160323_142656.jpg

IMG_20160323_142707.jpg

Photos from the shop...
IMG_20160323_142757.jpg

IMG_20160323_142819.jpg

So much bling! :cool2:
IMG_20160323_142740.jpg

I hate old MX bikes so much I love them.
That one looks to have so many identifying ques that it might be a custom build, or maybe a customized frame.
I hate to love it.

You guys may be right about the frame being a custom build but seeing that this bike has some age to it and our country having only a handful of custom bike builders who just came out in the last couple of years I feel that this frame may not be local. We have a very tiny community of custom bike builders here, most of them building fixies, road bikes and lowriders (like the shop owner), I doubt they would be into vintage MX builds. So, that leaves the local ratrod builders (who would be into this kind of build), where everybody knows each other and I can definitely say that this is not their work. What's more intriguing are some points in the frame that tell me it might be a production bike like the fancy gusset behind the head tube as well as the flattened ends of the seat stays that holds the shocks. Our custom builders can copy a gusset like that but I doubt they have machines to press/flatten the stays that way. Also, looks like the pivot (behind the BB) has been non-professionally welded at some point. I'm still stumped :39:

IMG_20160323_142707B.jpg

Latest posts

Back