Unnamed

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fv2

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
So a while back I got a custom frame from smoopy, but it didn't hold a very wide back tire. I think 1.5 was the max.

I wanted to build something that could hold a 2.5 - 3 inch tire. Then I remembered I had the rear triangle from an unfinished build, here's progress so far.

The original frame.
44473_7de288bc2c1a147ea88c7efb07d1d279.jpg

And how it looks now.
20171111_154328.jpg

I'm not 100% where this is going, but I'm gonna have fun with it.

Got the fork back to normal.
20171114_145457.jpg

With the patina kustoms handlebars.
20171114_145433.jpg

I guess that one wanted to be sideways.

Just a little more work on the rear triangle and it'll be ready for paint stripper.

I didn't take a picture, but I messed up the rear triangle. I tried cutting the brake arm tab off and ended up with a hole in the stay.
I thought I would just fill it with weld from the edges in. That went terribly wrong, and now I don't feel it's structurally sound.

I'll have to dig through the pile to see what I can come up with for a replacement rear triangle.

I really like the stance of this bike :cool2:

I really like the stance of this bike :cool2:
Me too, and I'm hoping it doesn't change much with a new triangle.
I have an occ frame, but I think a 4 inch tire is to much. I could try to cut and narrow it, but I'll see what else I have first.

Got the triangle removed again, decided to build a new one with some forks I had.
20171122_135832.jpg

Now I'm kind of thinking build it single sided.:39:

I'm thinking that unless the left side is super-beefy, and the rear wheel axle is super-beefy, then the torque on the drive side would pull the rear wheel to the left and bend.
You're probably right, I've been brainstorming on that.
When I messed up the rear triangle that was on there, this went from being a build to being an experiment.

Who knows how it will turn out.

When I messed up the rear triangle that was on there, this went from being a build to being an experiment.

Yeah right! A lot of my projects turn into experiments. sometimes the experiment turns out great and sometimes it goes into the scrap metal pile. There's an old saying that in order to be successful in what you go, you have to understand failure. Thomas Edison tried like 10,000 times before he got the right filament to glow brightly and invented the lightbulb. He said, "I have not failed ten thousand times, I've only found ten thousand ways it would not work"!

I did away with the single side deal, and decided to try the occ junk with fat tire.

My neighbor thinks the PK bars are too tall. So I put on a set of apes, let me know what you all think.

PK bars
20171127_151656.jpg

Apes
20171127_154527.jpg

Got the wide bb in by inverting the American bearing cups, welding them on then inserted the wide bb and welded.
20171128_162254.jpg

Chain line looks straight.
20171128_162309.jpg

And the overall.
20171128_162321.jpg

Things are just tacked in place right now, but it's rideable. It rides well, but the lines are odd.
I have an idea for that though.

If you could bend the rear of the top tube down to meet the angle of the seat stays...
That's a possibility, I was thinking just welding some tubes in at the top tube and angle them down to the seat stay.
Possibly fill it with some sheet metal, lowrider style.

But I'll definitely look at bending the top tube.

Latest posts

Back