Unofficial March Shootout

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't imagine it as cold as you've got it and trying to work on my bike. The chill here is part of why I've happily accepted the half stripped worn off finish on mine. You could take the fork in the house and take it down to bare metal with a bit of steel wool.That's a finish that looks good on just about any style fork. In any event you know when to post the completed bike... March 31st.

Carl.
That is so simple, didn't think of it. Bringing it inside. In a few hours I leave for a Mississippi Delta blues tour. I have rounded up two bikes in Mississippi that friends have donated for us to ride down there. The weather down there has not been all that hot, still in the 30sF at night and a lot of rain but I'll probably wear shorts and t shirts. I hope to be back before the end of the month so I can post a final picture. Right now I can't get into my shop. Three days of 40sF and now teens. The ice and snow pack in my driveway is way above the shop floor so the water in there was over the top of my snow boot laces and now it froze. I'm frozen out so it's a good time to take off eh. Hopefully when I get back I can start dealing with the flood and get to my bike in the attic to post a picture. Who knows, I might even be able to take off the fork and paint it. I could also paint the whole fork black, that way there would be no masking. The paint and brakes are all that remain to finish it. I'm glad I didn't try to work on my 30s Colson. I was able to get it out of the original ice on the shop floor during the thaw. It's hanging up but my other project, a 1946 Westfield has the wheels frozen into the floor. It's frame is behind the wood stove. My 1968 Triumph motorcycle has ice over the tires and onto the rims. My other winter projects, a 1938-41 Schwinn New World WR-1 and a 1900 track bike are safe in the bathroom, but my wife wants them out of there so she can shower. I'll toss those in the spare bedroom before I leave.
1552830318519414711316.jpg
1552830357598105598169.jpg

Last edited:
Check out these ratty grips! I got them with the '53 I'm building in BO14. Cool little double dinger too, from eBay. (Tanks off for some cleaning and an eyeball if I can find one)
a59494bb8f0e16d95afffba779d89237.jpg
66d7b229732bdf8a8d8a8c4520530fd3.jpg

Sent from the edge of an alternate universe...

Ok so I noodled around on it quite a bit today. Truss rods, rear rack, raggedy grips and an eyeball in the tank...
8087c196065a9e15f30da823fe5af947.jpg
f9e1a17bcd54efca2eaa022723927ce8.jpg

I'm also ditching the Aztec Warrior moniker it had at the end of BO13 and going back to the name I was using at the beginning, "13th Mental Breakdown"

Carl.
Sent from the edge of an alternate universe...

Last edited:
Metalchewy
Did this have a sealed beam bulb that you converted ? I have a old 6v Everready lantern I would like to convert the head , so it could be used on a bike ?
Sandman,
It was a sealed beam 6v motorcycle light that I cut the center out with dremel and used jb weld to glue a big washer to the back of the glass. The washer's hole has the same size as an old push in style tail light socket. The led bulb has low and high beam that i wired together.
IMG_20190305_071156.jpg

I wired it in with a 4v-12v stepup transformer that I adjusted to put the correct from 4.5v to 12v See how to: http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/led-light-in-a-soupcan.108230/

Sandman,
It was a sealed beam 6v motorcycle light that I cut the center out with dremel and used jb weld to glue a big washer to the back of the glass. The washer's hole has the same size as an old push in style tail light socket. The led bulb has low and high beam that i wired together.
View attachment 91390
I wired it in with a 4v-12v stepup transformer that I adjusted to put the correct from 4.5v to 12v See how to: http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/led-light-in-a-soupcan.108230/
Thank You metalchewy . I am amazed at all of skills . Jack of all trades .

Thank You metalchewy . I am amazed at all of skills . Jack of all trades .
Thanks sandman. Ill try anything once or twice. Sometimes I get lucky and it works out. ;-) That light cutout trick I learned from @LukeTheJoker

Dogleg Left....
IMG_20190320_145600.jpg IMG_20190320_160458.jpg IMG_20190320_162257.jpg IMG_20190320_164150.jpg
Almost. Needs an Arc.

I love a good local flipper shop . You never know what you will find , cheap prices and it's just plane fun digging thru other people's junk. This is my LFS , the sheds are full of junk parts organized in 5 gal buckets and I can always find a part that will work on my next project . He's been do it for a long time .
flip 2.jpg

I love a good local flipper shop . You never know what you will find , cheap prices and it's just plane fun digging thru other people's junk. This is my LFS , the sheds are full of junk parts organized in 5 gal buckets and I can always find a part that will work on my next project . He's been do it for a long time .
View attachment 91440
Would be cool to have an LFS around here....

Life got busy and I haven't checked in here forever, but I finally had some time today to whack some parts together for this project. The original plan was to borrow some apes off a bike that doesn't get ridden much, and to rob a sissy and seat off a bike that's getting a strandie makeover. But then today this somehow came together.
20190323_160410.jpg

20190323_160419.jpg
20190323_160435.jpg
20190323_161702.jpg
20190323_161807.jpg
20190323_161641.jpg

The seat is hideous, but I kinda like the bars and stem. I guess I might end up with a Stingray-to-BMX conversion vibe. I'm going to experiment with some weathered-looking Schwinn graphics right on the beat-up black paint. We shall see.

Latest posts

Back