Unofficial March Shootout II

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hubs.jpg
KP
Trying to decide between these . A S3S with freewheel or SA SRC3 + with coaster brake . Was also looking at spoke calculators , has anybody built a 1.75 wheel using one of these ?

View attachment 114759 KP
Trying to decide between these . A S3S with freewheel or SA SRC3 + with coaster brake . Was also looking at spoke calculators , has anybody built a 1.75 wheel using one of these ?
I haven’t built a wheel using those hubs. What I do is I take two spokes and thread nipples on until the spoke heads are level with the bottom of the nipple head screwdriver slot. I then clamp the two spokes together with vice grips and measure the ERD using the total length of the two clamped together spokes. I measure the ERD in several places around the rim. I use an electronic metric caliper to determine the OLD and hub spoke size, using several measurements. I use 3 or 4 different spoke calculators and toss out the ones that are way off the average. I don’t know if this helps, but for what it’s worth. It always makes me a little nervous until the wheel is built.

9a14f3321ff7198b6b28927f84e3bb88.jpg

The one on the left is the donor bike. But know I have plans to build that one up also at a later date. So I have to take the chainring off front & back.
fe28cfd123dc525b3ebbf9f90c473fac.jpg
a5c3f875695fe62f1ec38dc0bde8a400.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I once built a tandem from a frame someone gave me. It is a hard project. Good luck, very ambitious.

Thank you, I’m going to need it, using this 1 month build off to push me to finish it. Fingers crossed [emoji1693]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dude that's gonna take a lot of skiptooth chain....

Carl.

Remember how I said I was going to test the "no rules" thing? Here's a link to the Donkey's thread, am I out of bounds, having started before March 1?
http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/the-wonky-donkey.109555/
Any bike...
but links to other threads are kinda lame, because we're all posting together here. The big thing is the change documented between March 1 and March 31

and I think the one unwritten rule we need to follow is:
YOU CAN"T ENTER A FINISHED BIKE...
Just sayin'...

Carl.

No pics but easy to document...
The frame I'm using has no brake arms on the rear pins. I also will probably scrap the fork, so I'm using the arms from the front on the back. That gives me brakes if I use a derailleur rim. If I lace the 3 speed coaster I have then it's all moot. But the swap from the front to the back will be a step forward.
I've got a feeling the paint isn't going to come off very easily, it looks powder coated to me. Grr.

Carl.

View attachment 114759 KP
Didja see the SAPIM calculater? Pretty easy, comprehensive if you need it to be, allowing for offsets. I've used close measurements with a tape measure and my eye and never been wrong with the results... I also believe the little bit of difference between a 2.125 and a 1.75 in width shouldn't matter they both run the spokes down the middle with a bit of left right left right...

Carl.

5336361a67232b63d87dfb2b4d19346f.jpg

Anybody else notice the offset center of the crank AND the adjustment that's able to be made by spinning the cups, held in place by the pinch bolt? That's a pretty slick way to take up the slack in a skiptooth without an idler gear. Cool 1900 technology.

Carl.

Anybody else notice the offset center of the crank AND the adjustment that's able to be made by spinning the cups, held in place by the pinch bolt? That's a pretty slick way to take up the slack in a skiptooth without an idler gear. Cool 1900 technology.

Carl.
Idler gear are a pain, which I was worried would slow you down. That is one good piece of news anyway.

9E68A01B-30F4-48B9-87F9-7AAE5031AC21.jpeg

Slapped it together in the basement last night. Absolutely everything was out of adjustment but it still appears to be decent quality.

E1221036-CD9D-4193-BC89-A084D4D1CB12.jpeg

I took it for a spin this morning (40’s here in jersey) and it rides pretty nice. I bought the large, hoping the cantilever would be a little deeper that the medium but it doesnt appear to be. My original plan was for this to be a retrotec style mtb but I think its too big for me for trail riding.

D11006A5-1E99-4D17-A5EC-2513EF2B52BE.jpeg

It has 29x2 but there's plenty of room for bigger. This might get the beach racer treatment instead of big knobbies.

Carl.
Still in use on single speed mtbs, called an eccentric BB.
images.jpeg

Latest posts

Back