Unofficial March Shootout III discussion

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been rounding up parts for my U-Haul bike all winter and it's ready to build. Count me in when it's time to count me in.

Do we still LIKE this thin set of rules?
If so, I will start a build thread March 1st at 12:01 am.

This is an "Anything Goes" bicycle build off with few rules.
First picture posted March 1st or later captioned "I'm in."
Posting progress pictures along the way is encouraged
(almost mandatory) and we'll all be in one thread together.
and on March 31st or before, final picture captioned "I'm done."
You can enter any bike in any condition,
but all changes/ upgrades must be made during the 31 day build off.

A voting thread with finished pics will be compiled afterwards.
A trophy titled "Rat Supreme" will be awarded to the winner
of the most votes garnered in a 1 week period.

Carl.

The Unofficial Shootout will be using the Central Standard Time zone for the beginning and end...

Last edited:
To get an easy and accurate account
and to see if there's really any interest,
IF you plan on joining in the fun,
"LIKE" this post please and thank you.​

For once I don't really have anything in the rafters waiting for me to build...
I don't even have a theme or a name ready... Oh no!

GC. :headbang:
If the build off commences and you haven't found a bike, give me a holler. I have a '57 Higgins frame and fork in primer ready to build that I would part with. Also have the fenders and chainguard in crusty condition; seat and seat post in good condition. I think I have the headset too, the lower race is an odd size if I remember correctly.

Man it's COLD COLD out in my garage right now! I've been sitting on a can of paint to do the fade on my Muscle Bike, ALiEN FiRE for a couple of weeks now and it'll probably not get the fade till warmer weather. I will share that in past Shootouts it wasn't nearly as cold as it is now. This is going to make it so that I either have to build it in the house... (which I could do as I have no room mate) or I figure a way to heat up my workspace...

Carl.
Also I think there's 5 of us so far, pretty slim and it's a "No Rules" build off too...

If you have a natural gas line in your garage I can fix you up with some heat, I have a ventless heater I'm not using. Next weeks temps are supposed to be in the mid thirties so us midwesterners will be getting out our lighter weight jackets.

My build is gonna pretty much be a face lift and I can get it done in a warm space. Nothing fancy, just getting the old bike back out on the road where it should be with a little more style.

My wife keeps telling me I should get a wood stove for the garage. But I pretty much set up shop in the basement. Works good, I can feed the fuel to the furnace while tinkering with bikes. Painting will be dicey tho.

I wish I could send you guys some of our heat. It’s hot and humid down here.
I will be building up a Nishiki frame I bought last year, I think I have all the bits I will need except handlebars which I ordered, and brake cables and shoes which I’ll pick up locally when needed.
If it rides nicely when finished I might even splurge on some new rubber.

I went through my stuff and think I have enough extra parts to make a good rat. With nothing else to do but sit at home, a month should be plenty of time to complete a build.

I'll be using my oldest parts, Chain wheel and fork from a 42 Hawthorne, truss rods from a 50's CWC, 60 Brook B66, handlebars and stem probably from the 40's, and a Bendix original coaster hub, could have been from 46 until they stopped making them skip tooth.
Cottered crank skip tooth drivetrain on a lugged cantilever frame. A complete rework of my Ratty Patty bike.

feb 21 rebuild.JPG

I have a 1931 Claud Butler track bike. I’m waiting on spokes. The plan is for disassembly, clean grease and reassemble. Paint and decals will not be possible in March so I’ll have to take it apart again for paint, which is ok as I want to check everything before paint. It’s really only a marginal rat because of years of crust.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

If you have a natural gas line in your garage I can fix you up with some heat, I have a ventless heater I'm not using. Next weeks temps are supposed to be in the mid thirties so us midwesterners will be getting out our lighter weight jackets.

My build is gonna pretty much be a face lift and I can get it done in a warm space. Nothing fancy, just getting the old bike back out on the road where it should be with a little more style.
Thanks but I'll be ok the parsonage has a half flight of stairs from the garage to the basement. In the past I've even warmed up frames (and paint) then took them to the garage for painting. Then I brought the frame back in to hang in the basement so the paint could dry.

Saw this on Facebook and thought of Carl.
626d5ad28a14c205906d33e4f03eb079.jpg

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Those are SWEEEEEET! You said you thought of me? When will they be arriving?

GC.

Latest posts

Back