Unofficial March Shootout

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
This is an "Anything Goes" bicycle build off with just two rules. First picture posted March 1st or later captioned "I'm in."
Right here in this forum.
and on March 31st or before, final picture captioned "I'm done."
You can enter any bike in any condition.

A voting thread with finished pics will be compiled afterwards.
Posting progress pictures along the way is encouraged, we'll all be in one thread together.
A trophy titled "Rat Supreme" will be awarded to the winner of the most votes garnered in a 1 week period.

Carl.

The unofficial shootout will be using the Central Standard Time zone for the beginning and end...​

Last edited:
I'm in.
c2ab1f2d0cd1f4e0f107854edcd32ffe.jpg

Sent from the edge of an alternate universe...

That's a pretty nice bike as it is. Was expecting to see a bunch of parts or a POS. If that were mine I'd just change the sprocket, chain, pedals, seat, strip the guard to chrome and give it a spectacular paint job. Gonna be interesting to see how far you go. You must have some major changes in mind. Perhaps stretching the frame? I need that layback:D
Couldn't bond with it and it failed to meet the expectations I had when I built it. So I'll be stripping it down. The fork has got to go. The stance is vaguely "Highboy" but I'm a dragster kinda guy so...

Carl.

Really thought you'd be building around the front end. From the photo it looks superb. The frame is short is all. Looks like it must roll well. Totally see what you mean about being high though.

Enjoy making it as close to perfect:)

Look up Aztec Jaguar in last years Build Off 13
Frames been stretch behind the BB, fabbed the fork from parts... wedged the rear tire in by crimping the stays. It's a definite Rat.

So are you in? We've got a month, anything goes.

Carl.

I need another beater to get a around in a few weeks . I picked up this beat up Electra Cruiser out of someones trash yesterday . The seat riser is sheared off and BB is frozen, but I should have enough parts to put it back together again quickly . We live about 20 mins from Daytona Beach and Bike week starts in a week . The best way to check out the events is by bicycle , you don't have to worry about traffic or parking . So I need a Harley themed bike I can park and leave it for a little while with out worrying about it .

back story:
summary.jpg

these pics were taken when I got it at a thrift store on Long Island. haven't done anything with it since then but rob parts off it... the S-7s and chain went to a Junior Sting-Ray, the Bear Traps have been on a couple of bikes and are now on a recent strandie build, the bars and stem are on a Scrambler clone, seat was sold cheap to a friend doing an old school BMX build. current rims are the S-7s that came off the Junior; I'm not planning on using them.

Not painting it, but I have some ideas for graphics that might look interesting. I also have some random banana-seat bike parts that I am pulling together; we'll see if I continue along that course. First order of business is to straighten the forks.

I am guessing it was once a '77 Tornado (late '76 serial):
20190301_170604.jpg

1977_schwinn_tornado.jpg

Last edited:
I'm glad to see some guys jumping in!
I couldn't let my complete bike go up against all of your frame sets so I went out to the garage and torn this one down. Once I pull the headbadge, bottom cup, and crankset (tomorrow) I'll be brushing on some stripper.
08cd1151c7761ed1b99e6efea24a61ce.jpg

Sent from the edge of an alternate universe...

I'm in

004.JPG

003.JPG

'58 Hufffy, I believe. Started a build thread on this last May, and promptly abandoned it. Original fork was damaged by a previous owner, and the tube was too short. I pulled out this older Huffman fork that I got from Smoopy's bargain bin at one of his swap meets. Has a bit of a bend. Should be able to straighten ok.
I have fenders but no chain guard.
I plan on a paint job and white walls. I will need to address the rusty spokes. Solid but crappy looking.

I'm in. Old camel back Hercules that was originaly a 3 speed. It's now a poor man's single speed. I'm converting it with a Sach coaster brake wheel. 26 x 1 3/8 semi knobby tires, beautiful Persons saddle, French road bike gooseneck, vintage grips. In the 60s and 70s I used bikes like this to ride in the woods so I keep one for nostalgia. My original ones were poor mans single speeds but I'm going with a coaster. I always had two or three of these so I could loan them to friends for group rides as they had no bikes for the woods. We rode a lot of hiking trails. My friends called them "Medicine Bikes". If you rode one of these on hiking trails you would know why they got called "Medicine Bikes". This is a very simple build but I really appreciate this build off as it inspired me to take it off it's hanger and finish it.
20190302_094141.jpg

Last edited:
I made this frame a couple MBBO's ago. That setup, I had the front wheel pop out enough times, once at high speed that I tore it down and recycled components

Needing a Bike for April 3, I figure now's a good time to assemble and paint something cool.

I Was planning to do yardwork this morning but it was raining, so I did the first mockup. Gotta go digging for that old stingray seat. This little one will go away.

Not sure whether to go little bars or the longer ones. I have some 3" taller and 8" taller than those in the shop. I think it's between these two.

IMG_20190302_095018.jpg
IMG_20190302_094330.jpg
IMG_20190302_095002.jpg
IMG_20190302_094420.jpg

I'm in. #2.

I've had issues with my old Snyder bomber.

Gonna build an aluminum framed and wheeled Bomber from my old Denim Sand Cruiser that I just stole the bars from....
IMG_20190302_111122.jpg

The Electra-fied frankenbike is coming together .
The 3 pc crank is a Shadow Conspiracy with a American BB . I had to drill out the old pedal stems to get them out and the old bearings were frozen with rust . The mismatched wheels both came off from the same and include a Nexus 4 speed . The shifter lever combo were imported from Germany off Ebay . They are no longer avalable in the US . The fork was the only one I had with a long enough steerer , but is stamped TANG . It is too long and will need to be trimed and so I'm using SAKAE one hole , threadless stem with Origin 8 headset . The half moon handlebars are from a old Giant . This afternoon I will check out our local peddler
( Fliper ) to see what else I can find for this build ? Thank you Carl for running this build off , I'm sure it takes alot more of your time .
electra-fied.jpg

Latest posts

Back