Up date 7 /21 1951 Spiegal Airman Safety cycle Briggs Stratton bike Frame

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I'm not sure what direction this is going to be built in ??:39: .I got the frame because after finding the Lawn mower In the photos. I was going to add a motor plate to a bike frame Now I have to add a bike crank to this frame to bring this to moped status .. I like this idea better . This is made to work with Bicycle / moped parts so theres a lot of parts options . Also this frame has 90% of the paint removed the rust on the frame is just from sitting bare & its just really light flash rust. I was concerned about the fork size ( I assumed it was larger than a bicycle fork I was correct But I think I can make this OCC fork work just fine if I cant find something older that works better ) Ideally I really would like to keep as Many Late 1940s to early 1950s bicycle parts on this as possible ( This is made to take 24 inch wheels ) .. I'm open to ideas or suggestions ..
One thing I was supprised about is this is fairly light weight & strong looking ..
DSC03400_zpsb450dffa.jpg

Last edited:
How cool, a Lawnmower rigid frame Bobber.....I see a up swept Fish tail exhaust pipe, Z bars, solo seat- P pad combo...O k ..I'm getting a little over board I'll return to my seat..:grin:

that frame reminds me of a simplex.

It is a Simplex. Tom had been trying to describe this thing to me for a few days and I had no idea what he was talking about until I saw the pictures. Simplex must have sold some under the name Airman through the Spiegel catalog back in the day. Last year I passed on a complete rough but running Simplex for $1000...should have snagged it up :banghead:

That frame is too cool. Can't wait to see how you build it out.
I love this pic from mikeybike site
1955safticycle_commando.jpg

Here is a video that describes the difference between a safticycle and the airman

Motor ? This is bigger than I would like to use but its a small light motor & is nos. Id consider trading the motor for a 3 1/2 hp in perfect working order with kick or electric start . The motor I have is a 5 hp & with a OHC & was around $400 ish when new .I even have the original box.
DSC08300_zpsa2aa93c3.jpg

DSC08296_zpsfe0fcadd.jpg

Back