v 4.0

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In most cases you won't harm the motor but may burn the controller. The components inside the controller are designed to work to a specific voltage any more and the capacitors may pop. The extra heat created by the increased voltage may burn the winding of the motor if you subject it to heavy loads. You will get more speed but range depends on the amp/hr rating of the battery. Do you have a pic and/or more details about the current system? :39:

The only pic I currently have is in my Air Force Too build thread.

What I know about the bike is its something wal e world sold, its a Hyper electric moto. 36 volt, think the batteries are 12ah. Other than that I'd have to look at the components.

Built the mount for a tail light under the seat, bottom bracket gussets, rear fender mount (not seen here) and the securing straps for the battery this weekend.

The bb gussets are very cool withthose speed holes :D
I also like the new seat springs' support a lot better than the old ones

A little update but progress has slowed due to the sub zero weather here at the moment. I'll need to stoke the woodstove to get any amount of work done if this keeps up. Rear fender mount finished and used the rear fender flipped around from the Simply Red build to mock up the look. I will likely make new fenders front/rear without the flat section at the end. Still kicking around ideas for a kick/centre stand and front fender mount. Hopefully warmer weather this weekend.

The kickstand is the part I usually skip on a build and then regret later as I'm searching for somewhere to lean the bike against.
icon_rolleyes.gif

Lugs welded into position and lower frame tube capped.

Fairly stealthy when folded up. Need to add a return spring and make some feet for the ends.

More stable than a side stand when deployed.

I bought this handy freewheel spacer online, an easy fix to straighten out the fat-tired chainline.

Thanks Luke:

Must have taken 10 hours by the time I finished it but at least I won't have to worry about the bike falling over coz I had to lean it up against something. Sure will make adjusting the brakes, removing the rear wheel, etc, that much easier. Will be worth the time spent.

Decided to add a forkstop to the build. Used a suspension snubber and tapped a disc for the 3/8" mounting stud, should save some wear and tear on the cables.

I wasn't completely satisfied with the centre stand so I spent a bit more time on it. It has a much cleaner look to it now and the double springs make sure it stays retracted while I'm riding.

A full centre stand will make working on the bike a lot easier, no more looking around for somewhere secure to lean a heavy bike against. :dance2:

I've been working on the fenders and other woodwork for this build. Here's where we're at... the fenders are made from 2 layers of 1/8" Baltic Birch plywood. As I'm not using a two part form for the lamination, there's a certain amount of spring back, it took a couple of tries to get the correct radius to keep the fender tight to the tire.

Looks good!
I am not a fan of motorized bikes either petrol or electric, mainly because the rules here in Australia mean I can't have a decent one, but I love the design of your bike, very cool vision, that frame is awesome, the seat sits in the perfect spot and the ratio of tire to wheel is spot on!

Luke.

beautiful build sir ! i like your kickstand design ...also thanks for showing me how you did the wooden fenders ,i sure will use this technique in the future .. and as luke said , a proportions on you build are spot on! , looks like such a great ride

Thanks guys!
It's been nearly four months of working on it a couple of hours at a time + weekends, the fabrication stage is finally coming to an end. I need to attach the hinge for the battery box door raise the tail light an inch and fab the rear brake plate that holds the caliper. :whew:

I built the torque arm/caliper mount today, 1/4" thick, it slides back and forth with the motor and will have a small strut with a clamp to the frame:

Here's the front fender mount, welded in then split after:

Battery box door hinge welded into place:

Rear shot showing raised tail light with more speed holes:

Latest posts

Back