Varsity Build-Off? Any Interest?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Schwinn Varsities were a best-selling bike for decades; even today, they're everywhere. Seems like everyone has got one, or can get 1 cheap if they want.

I got me one (a frame, anyway) and I've got a plan. Before I start building, I wanted to see if anyone else is interested. The only rule I'm proposing: it has to be a working bicycle based on a Varsity frame.

Anybody in?

I did 3 in December. All 3 to single speed beach cruisers. Got one in the warm up circle but I won't get to in until warmer weather.

this would be a cool buildoff
varsity are sweet bikes ive own quite a few
if i had one id be in lemme see if i can find a suitable candidate and i will get back to you
Sean

I'm thinking, since i have a "head start", we oughta give everyone a minute to get a frame or a plan or a clue or whatever. What do y'all think is a reasonable timeframe.

B-( lol..... darn it I already have one built lol

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Build another one! Rebuild that one! Take it apart, take pictures as you rebuild it the same way, and act like it's a new build!

These aren't fun if they dont have enough entries!!

Ok, Will.... consider, but also unsure if it's a Varsity
I know it's the brown 63cm Schwinn frame

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

I'm thinking we call it a Varsity B/O, but we'll allow any 27"-wheeled Chicago-built diamond frame (Continental, SubUrban, etc...) B/c, really, there's no difference in the frames. Just different forks and components.... And I, for one, don't plan on running the stock forks and components....

I think it would be cool if rbb had regular/annual designated build off months or seasons. Specialty builds during the "off season", not during the main build off during may, june, july.

Like Schwinn September, or Fixie February or Varsity noVember, bMx March, kids bikes for December.

Let me see what Big Daddy has for varsity bikes/frames. I know he has a girls, although it will fit me I'd make it look funny being a dude and all. I have a racer or 2 available....

I think the problem is "getting your buddies" involved. If RBB would just announce certain builds, they will come. give us 6 months to a year warning time so we all have time to find a suitable build candidate.

My whole issue is, I got a buddy with one good arm, so we're building a one-handed bike for him, and I donated my Varsity frame to the cause....

I'm thinking we call it a Varsity B/O, but we'll allow any 27"-wheeled Chicago-built diamond frame (Continental, SubUrban, etc...) B/c, really, there's no difference in the frames. Just different forks and components.... And I, for one, don't plan on running the stock forks and components....

Not to be that nit picker guy but... this is true after about '61 or so when Schwinn switched to the electro-forged frames. The earlier frames are braised tubing of the real (not gas pipe) variety. If you can find one of those frames they are surprisingly light. Ol' Sheldon's site claims they were even chromo, but it's hard to tell if the author only meant the Paramont frames were chromo, which would make more sense. I do know that my '53 frame weighs less than 9 pounds on my hyper-accurate bathroom scale.

Before and afters:
IMG_20130304_130530%202.jpg~320x480

IMG_20140209_123354-1.jpg~320x480

Not the greatest pic but- '53 Varsity frame, SRAM 7-speed cog, front disk, black box bars done up in a Scrambler livery.

just got a continental with so-so paint myself, might be in for a buildoff, although summer is my busiest time of year, so a fall buildoff would be better timeframe.

Built this little jem over the winter.Wanted a more comfy cruiser ride so I added the big schwinn saddle,cruiser bars and swapped out the brake levers.I found it on CL and fell in love with that camel back frame and with those 27" wheels she moves out pretty well for an ol girl,doesn't get much use right now but its there when I want it,hope you guys like her:)!!
001.JPG
002.JPG
003.JPG

Lovin' that camelback Varsity. Very nice ride, but is that a bottle cage at the left rear dropout?

My Varsity frame that sorta inspired this thread, I donated it to this project my buddies and I are doing for this awesome guy with limited use in his left arm. But, I just picked up a Collegiate on CL for cheap... complete except the saddles/wheels. We're using some of those bits on the one-handed Varsity; i'm still not sure what i'm doing with the Collegiate but the front triangle is identical to the varsity.... the stays are slacker and longer. It'll clear 27s or fat 700c's with ease....

Latest posts

Back