Victory Flyer

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wanted a set of wheels for it, so I could put these wheels back on the walmart cruiser. I thought I would have to find a cheap beach cruiser and cannibalize it, but these showed up on CL for 20 bucks:
wheels.jpg

Hopefully they are straight, like advertised. The next question would be whether to leave them black, or paint them the same green as the bike. I found more of that color too. Also I wonder if that many spokes wouldn't go with the WW2 theme.

Got my free pedals and good rims. The pedals look heavy duty, they oughta clean up nice. The rear hub is a histop, isn't that the upper end of the cheap hubs?:bigsmile:

I've got to work on my car tomorrow, I'll see if I can sneak some parts into the mineral bath.

pedals.JPG

Hotrod Mod?

Well, had to go to the bike shop to get 2 new chains. 52/22 takes a lot of chain.
sprockets - Copy.jpg

The pedals cleaned up easily, the bearings are solid, no play.
pedals2.JPG

Now I have everything and it just needs to be put together. I'll be finding a way to fit the truss rods.

Attachments

• pedals2.JPG
    pedals2.JPG
    180.4 KB · Views: 207
Last edited:
No bearings readily available, unless I get a kid's bike from the thrift store. But I did get some work done, and only needed one chain after all. Now to paint the chain black and bore out the ends of the truss rods to fit the front axle.

almost.JPG

If the extra bearings work for the rear hub, wouldn't it be a good mod for the one piece cranks also? If I get a kid's bike for the hub bearings, I may use the crank bearings to do that and see what happens.
Probably, but it would be a pain to assemble... :confused:

I think the chamfered shoes makes a big difference too with the brake...

Running loose bearings in the BB is smoother, but you have to install everything with the frame on its side.
Put enough grease in the cup to hold the bearings, then lay the frame down.
Add bearings, then get the crank in without losing bearings.

Then you have to hold the crank in, flip the frame to put grease and bearings on the other side.
It's a hassle, but it's doable.

When I was younger every English bike I worked on had loose bearings everywhere, headset had 22 tiny bbs, cranks had 12 large bearings each, and I forget what the front axle had. They were always dried out and went everywhere. I used one of those magnets on a rod to find them. But a crank spindle is easier then a one piece crank to thread through the frame.
I'll see if it seems better on these cranks.

Still haven't found extra bearings, but they aren't necessary for the bike to ride. The bearings there now are the stock ones and are good.
The truss rods will have to be filed or ground down pretty thin to fit the larger axle, and they are from a CWC, so I think I'll leave them alone and use them on the annual build off, I've got big plans for that.
So, just painting the chain, adding a bigger set of bars, and putting on a set of new pedals is all that's left to do. I plan to do that today. But lately, all kinds of things keep coming up that put this bike on the back burner, so it needs to get done today.

16864517_753769744773460_4489861737572477856_n.jpg

Latest posts

Back