VINTAGE BICYCLE PHOTOS

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
maybe not turn of the century, but it could be 30's. if you look at the groud behind the bike, you can barely make out tire tracks. the bike also appears to have double step wheels, presta valves, the stem bolt is not on top of the stem, like in most older bikes, the chain doesnt look like a skiptooth or block chain, and if you look closely at the bottom of the wheels, you can see the tire is flattened from the centrifugal force and speed of the bike.

I remember seeing a picture of my hometown from the 1800s and there were power lines. Who knows how old that picture is. :|

stretch said:
maybe not turn of the century, but it could be 30's. if you look at the groud behind the bike, you can barely make out tire tracks. the bike also appears to have double step wheels, presta valves, the stem bolt is not on top of the stem, like in most older bikes, the chain doesnt look like a skiptooth or block chain, and if you look closely at the bottom of the wheels, you can see the tire is flattened from the centrifugal force and speed of the bike.

Good observations!

deorman said:
It's back!! :) Does anybody believe this photo? The terrain and the attitude of the equipment do not match. The spokes are pretty much standstill, to be that clear on old low speed film. :?

Yeah, that guy on the bike must be going REALLY fast for him to lean that much. It also appears that there is no dust flying up.

thought i would add a few more old B&W HOTROD,,,,
1940S.jpg
BZBEUSgmkKGrHgoH-CQEkJwwr3WBKkoZkBg.jpg
BYNu4KBWkKGrHgoOKjoEjlLmErDsBKgYDQN.jpg

jmagruder10 said:
I picked this photo up yesterday . It is a Tandem Track bike from around 1890 - 1910 On the back it has some autographs. It looks small in the picture , but it is a 8x11 .
p1.jpg

Back
p2.jpg

Over thanksgiving I found a 1930s family video that had some kids riding their bikes. These stills were pulled from a dvd so unfortunatly they aren't great quality. I guess one of the uncles worked for JVC back in the day and had an early video recorder. Looked really cool in motion so maybe someday I'll figure out how to post clips from a dvd to the site.
bike2.jpg

bike3.jpg

bike5.jpg

bike6.jpg

i do believe it was posted, but its good to see it, especially if you know that drawing in the background is by BDR (ed "big daddy" roth). :mrgreen:

This picture was taken about 1967 or so ....My brother and two sisters..and me on the Trike..Enjoy.
scan0001.jpg

When Herr Rudolf was just a little Rudolfje...

Does this count?

1977(?)
Me learning how to ride a bike on the 'family's-learn-how-to-ride-a-bike'-bicycle. I fell and injured my head. It's still a miracle that I I've learned how to ride I bike cause I remember screaming that I won't climb on that evil yellow thing ever again. Too bad you won't see me fall, only me on my mom's lap, crying... Don't know who has that metalic yellow gilsbike at the moment. Would love to have it right now... Oh, and that cocky kid riding towards the camera at the end of the footage is my big sis. She has never learn how to ride but just did it! After she came ou tof the hospital my dad said:
I've bought you a bicycle so now you can ride a bike when you get home. Well, sho got home, climbed on the bike and just rode off! :)

The next video is a more obscure example of a bike that was really a bike I could called 'my own'. Well, not this particullary one cause it's my girlfriends... But I had the same, though in metalic blue. It had high handle bars and a black bananaseat. Two nonfunctional chrome springs right under the handlebars. The wheels were 20" I supose and the tires had thin white lines. I would really like to find out what the make was. The text on the chainguard read 'Super Deluxe'... I guess it was the modelname.

That baby is my kidbrother by the way...

Another video of me (and my sis) my dad shot back in 1977.

This time I'm riding my 'Liliput'. A three-wheeler I got from 'Sinterklaas'. (Saint Nicolas, a Dutch tradition where kids get presents from an old guy in a red (holy) suit, and that much later-on became Santa Clause in the US...) I loved that little green threewheeler. It had a steering wheel and a 'stickshift' that was in fact the (only) brake. My best friend had one in red and the two of us used to ride these in a 'two-wheel-motion' when we bumped one of the front wheels up in the air whenever we could. I now notice it had a 'luxury' leather seat in a color that I definately would've hated back in those days. Later-on my dad fitted a numberplate from an old Ford we didn't have anymore.

I love my dad for being an amateur filmer back when I was a little kid...
:)

(oh, I've just noticed that I used the bumper a LOT...)

herr_rudolf said:

This time I'm riding my 'Liliput'. A three-wheeler I got from 'Sinterklaas'. (Saint Nicolas, a Dutch tradition where kids get presents from an old guy in a red (holy) suit, and that much later-on became Santa Clause in the US...) I loved that little green threewheeler. It had a steering wheel and a 'stickshift' that was in fact the (only) brake. My best friend had one in red and the two of us used to ride these in a 'two-wheel-motion' when we bumped one of the front wheels up in the air whenever we could. I now notice it had a 'luxury' leather seat in a color that I definately would've hated back in those days. Later-on my dad fitted a numberplate from an old Ford we didn't have anymore.

That was nice.

herr_rudolf said:

You so need to build an adult sized one 8) 8)

Latest posts

Back