VINTAGE BICYCLE PHOTOS

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: early bicycle photos

That vehicle Ronney is in looks like an older version of a vehicle used in draft speed records for bikes, it has a fairing with a window for the biker in back. Here's a modern version below used to set a 152+ mph record in 1985

152%20in%20tow.JPG

Man, I love this site!

i guess with that gearing, one wouldnt be too concerned with brakes... or would they :|

Hey Gerwin - any details on that great picture of the skeleton on the bike? That would make great ink!

I really love all the vintage pics. My family has pictures of my grandfather and a friend in riding gear in the 30's, but not with bikes. I don't have a copy here to upload, unfortunately

The pic with Ronnie Householder was a record speed run on a highway near Bakersfield CA in May 1941. Alfred Letourneur was riding the special geared Schwinn Paramount. Mr. Letourneur was a factory rider for Schwinn. The event was sponsored by Schwinn.

Hooch, I finally found the book about Alfred Letourner and Ronney Householder. An article on P.53 in the 50 years of Schwinn Built Bicycles. I think I've seen the book scanned and posted on the web somewhere? It gives the date of May 17, 1941. It says Letourner pedeled 1 mile in 33.05 secs. at 108.92 mph behind a shield mounted on the rear of a race car driven by Ronney Householder. It said the front sprocket had 57 teeth (1" pitch). and the rear 6. The preceding page gives an account of Charles "Mile-a-Minute" Murphy who on June 30, 1899 pedeled behind an enclosed train at Maywood Long Island NY and went ! mile in 57 4/5 secs. I think I've heard before that Ronney Householder also raced at Indy? Letourner was famous as a six day trials rider.

not really vintage, but didn't know where else to put it.
arc0284b.jpg

I always wanted one of those!

"Tour de France Mechanics
Rather rustic conditions for the mechanics attending to racing bikes at the 1922 TdF. From "Le Miroir des Sports" No.99, 1 April 1923. "

CA_bikes.jpg

Hugo

Hugo, a great pic of the mechanics. That truing stand he is using is neat and woudn't be hard to build. I wonder if he remembered to cross his spokes?

Skoda, the pics of the chopper style bikes is precious. The guy standing on the far left looks like he would be right at home today at a HOG get together.

And some more big geared bikes. I wonder if you could build a big sprocket like that out of something besides metal and it worked? Thanks!!!

Latest posts

Back