VINTAGE BICYCLE PHOTOS

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: early bicycle photos

Does anybody have a picture or a link to Eddie Munster's stingray?

whizsmalltj6.jpg

richards1b.jpg

""The Suspended Monorail Bicycle: 1892.
This is the front cover photo of "New Movement in Cities" a book on urban transport written by expert Brian Richards. He is riding on what is now identified as the Hotchkiss Bicycle Railway, which runs from Mount Holly to Smithville in New Jersey, USA. It was invented by Arthur E Hotchkiss, and built in 1892. According to one source, the idea was that you hired a bicycle and cycled along the girder track to your destination; there were a number of bicycle depots along the route. Why this would be better than cycling along a paved path I do not know. I also don't know what Mr Richards opinion of this system was, but I doubt very much if it was seriously proposed as a solution to our transport problems.

An interesting point is that the monorail bicycles were bidirectional, so they did not have to be laboriously lifted off the girder and turned around. There were handlebars at each end, for support rather than steering, and the saddle presumably swivelled
."

from here:
http://www.dself.dsl.pipex.com/MUSEUM/TRANSPORT/oddbike/oddbike.htm

Man,, who would even think to take all and such cool pics of what they thought were just plain old bikes back then?? Great thread

not super old but heres the bike im tryin to build up

61 jc higgin flightliner "frame needed !!!" i gots everything else :mrgreen:

mitzibike1.gif

mitzibike3.jpg

I posted this some where else but here is better spot
baloontirejump.jpg
:shock: :shock: :shock: :mrgreen:

heres another
JB2634-001.jpg

on page 5 there is forkless motorcycle like the forkless bike in the gallery. things just keep going around and you never know if something is new or not. oh well we all are lucky to see these old bikes Bartleydad

Yep, thats true. Cars used "forkless" steering already in 1890's. Something what is quite new is use
"hubless" wheels, its as new as 1989. "hubless" because its not hubless, just hub is super huge! :D

Re: early bicycle photos hubless

Hi Olli. I was not compairing your great bike to that early motorcycle. I loved your white bike. Hands down its the neatest design i have ever seen. The pictures going from your drawings to real life were awe inspiring. You truley are a artest of wheels. By the way how dose that hubless wheel worh. I have seen them but don,t realy understand that wheel. I build standard bike wheels and still at a lost. Thanks Olli great work. Bartleydad

Latest posts

Back