Wanderer German Bicycle

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's an old Wanderer. Not sure what model (if there is one). I have read a bit about the company, but wondering about date (pre-war? post-war?) and value on this one. I am going to guess slightly postwar. What do you guys think?

Oh, yes I am well aware that the pedals & grips are mismatched and the tires are Schwinn.

P1090351.JPG

P1090352.JPG

P1090353.JPG

P1090356.JPG

P1090357.JPG

P1090358.JPG

P1090359.JPG

P1090360.JPG

P1090361.JPG

P1090366.JPG

P1090364.JPG

found this website:
http://www.torpedo-coasterbrake.com/hub-date.htm
According to that site the number on the hub refers to number of spokes. Torpedo used the letter for year. They use all letters except "J" and "Q" when the get to "Z" they start over with "A" again.
They show a 1942 hub marked with "M" so maybe your bike hub is mfg 1940?

found this website:
http://www.torpedo-coasterbrake.com/hub-date.htm
According to that site the number on the hub refers to number of spokes. Torpedo used the letter for year. They use all letters except "J" and "Q" when the get to "Z" they start over with "A" again.
They show a 1942 hub marked with "M" so maybe your bike hub is mfg 1940?

Thank you for the link. I read that page a little differently though. I think the letter codes began in '58. It states, "On hubs made from 1920 to 1957, you will find a number for the year on the hub-shell."

There is also a link, which shows hubs similar to mine from the 1940s. This leads me to believe mine is a 1938. Thoughts?

I think it's beautiful! Great find no matter age or value!

The owner of the hub website has confirmed that the date is 1938. Cool. Any guesses as to value on this? Worth sending to e-Bay or is it just another $150 CL bike?

It is a very nice bike. IDK about value. Do you think it came with larger dia wheels originally though? the fenders look a little "funny".

It is a very nice bike. IDK about value. Do you think it came with larger dia wheels originally though? the fenders look a little "funny".

Well, the wheels are color coded to the frame, so yeah, I think they are original. The German fellow said "The wheels looks to "litte", but sometimes in this time, wanderer sells Ballonbikes, with bigger "Reifen" (pneu)."

I think it is likely just a matter of tires.

Latest posts

Back