• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to RatRodBikes and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WANTED: Battery tray for a 1962 AMF-built Western Flyer Sonic Flyer

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(UPDATED. FOUND PEDALS, JUST LOOKING FOR THE REST)

I'm looking to buy or trade for a battery tray/headlight assembly for a 1962 AMF-built Western Flyer Sonic Flyer (pictured below.)

I don't know what the battery tray for this bike's tank/headlight is supposed to look like, but unlike other AMF bikes with similar tanks, the switch for the light is mounted on top of the tank, and there seem to be no rivets or bolt holes to mount a battery tray. I can barely fit a single RadioShack C cell battery tray inside the tank, but I've also been told that the headlight piece might've had the battery tray built in, and it could very well have been a D cell battery tray.

Here's what the headlight piece is supposed to look like.

If you have a battery tray/headlight piece in good, usable condition, and can ship it to Tulsa, Oklahoma, or if you at least know what kind of battery tray I need to look for and have a few photos to help me with my search, then please send me a private message and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. Thanks!

Last edited:
I have a small battery tray I'll locate tonight. I'll post a pic if I find it. It came off a slim tank about the same era of your bike.

This is the battery tray I have - 2 D cells. I ohmed the switch and it checked good.

View attachment 152508
Sorry this took so long, but I shot more photos of the tank I have. That could very well be the right battery tray, but I'm not sure how that battery tray would mount inside my tank, much less just fit inside it. I can barely fit a single Radio Shack C cell battery tray inside this tank as it is.
BFtD_Old_West20.jpg
BFtD_Old_West21.jpg
BFtD_Old_West22.jpg
BFtD_Old_West23.jpg

I think the battery tray may have been 2 D cells ( zinc-carbon were a little smaller than alkaline ) located in the headlight bezel . I modified a plastic Radio Shack 2 D cell tray to fit there on a Spaceliner.

I think the battery tray may have been 2 D cells ( zinc-carbon were a little smaller than alkaline ) located in the headlight bezel . I modified a plastic Radio Shack 2 D cell tray to fit there on a Spaceliner.
Really? Huh, I'll have to check and see how much room there is in the headlight bezel. Both donor tanks I have have a battery tray and switch riveted to the underside of the tank, so the 2 headlight bezels I have were designed with those tanks in mind.

Every set of those bow pedals I have is missing the rubber. It rots and falls off. I think a good looking vintage set would be expensive and would probably disintegrate from old age when you start using them. I ride on them without the rubber. Work good, but looks ratty.

Every set of those bow pedals I have is missing the rubber. It rots and falls off. I think a good looking vintage set would be expensive and would probably disintegrate from old age when you start using them. I ride on them without the rubber. Work good, but looks ratty.
What would you suggest I do then? Most vintage bow pedals I've had looked fine, rubber included, but if they're going to deteriorate when I ride this bike (and I do intend to ride this bike,) what would be a good alternative, aside from bare metal pedals?

What would you suggest I do then? Most vintage bow pedals I've had looked fine, rubber included, but if they're going to deteriorate when I ride this bike (and I do intend to ride this bike,) what would be a good alternative, aside from bare metal pedals?
Most old bow pedals are fine rubber wise. The type on your bike seem to have a more plastic harder type rubber which tends to crack and fall out. Pedals take a terrible beating as they are the lowest part of a bike so they just tend to wear out from strikes and sand. Some vintage bow pedals I have purchased had bent spindles. If it were me I would go for new bow pedals, which are not as cool looking. They are more like the Schwinn bow pedals but have the cursed mandatory reflectors built in. This is what I have done, or else just ride on vintage ones missing the rubber. I have bikes I ride that are missing the rubber and it works well.

3-1/4" x 2-1/2" ??? What I found to be objectionable to riding this style pedal is that the footwear rubs the finish off of the center metal tube .
Both of those look like good options, but I need to double check and see if what I need are 1/2" or 9/16" pedals. How do you know which one you need? Do I measure the width of the threads, or what size wrench I need to loosen/tighten the pedals?

Latest posts

Back