Was the completion date changed?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I swear the end MBBO was originally February 1st, not January 15th. Am I wrong, or was it changed.

Since I retired from the Navy and started working in retail, getting anything done in November and December is a near impossibility. You can prove that from my lack of progress on any of my projects. For the past two years I have finished zero entires on time due to losing 2+ months of build time. I was hoping to get at least ONE done this year to help keep the MBBO alive. But if 2 weeks have been cut off, it’s not going to happen.

Any chance to move back to February 1st?

Sorry bro. Almost 3 months ago they posted the rules on Sept 30th...
I'm running about 800 ft of trim in a guys house, he'd like it done ASAP, I'm also working on guitars at the music store part time and getting ready for 3 days of inventory there too. I'm wondering if I can pull off a three day build for my BMX bike in January. All I gotta do is strip, paint and assemble. I got faith in ya though, you can do it!

Carl.

Jan 15th is going to be tight for sure.

I say move it to Feb 1st. No one is going to complain about extra time. This is a friendly build off and if more bikes are completed, it helps generate interest for future build offs. 3 or 4 years ago I won first in class 1 of the MBBO. There were 7 completed entries.... Lots of build threads again this year, but who knows how many completed entries we'll have. I don't need the extra time, but I'd like to see more of my fellow builders get to the finish line.

Sorry bro. Almost 3 months ago they posted the rules on Sept 30th...
I thought I read them. Has it really been January 15th the whole time? Maybe it was in the rules discussion where February 1st came up and that stuck in my head.

Well, I’ll add my name to the petition asking for more time. I don’t know if it will mean much, but I would like to finish a few for the health of the build off at least.

I specifically asked in a discussions thread (which appears to be gone now) why the BO is ending earlier than usual. @Captain Awesome replied stating he had other obligations and that if we wanted an extension to find another member to take over for him. He also asked about a week ago if another member can cover for him now.

I recently forfeited getting parts because I wont be able to finish all my builds by the 15th. I entered my Avenger bike earlier because I couldn't get a better camera in time and also wanted to ride it while working on others. After 85miles riding over crud the rims look terrible from sidewall wear. The bike appeared WAY better in person than the pics I submitted with a crappy phone cam.

Need to know NOW if there's an extension or not.
Thanks,

:nerd:, wore mine when I read the rules, several times.

I specifically asked in a discussions thread (which appears to be gone now) why the BO is ending earlier than usual. @Captain Awesome replied stating he had other obligations and that if we wanted an extension to find another member to take over for him. He also asked about a week ago if another member can cover for him now.

I recently forfeited getting parts because I wont be able to finish all my builds by the 15th. I entered my Avenger bike earlier because I couldn't get a better camera in time and also wanted to ride it while working on others. After 85miles riding over crud the rims look terrible from sidewall wear. The bike appeared WAY better in person than the pics I submitted with a crappy phone cam.

Need to know NOW if there's an extension or not.
Thanks,

:nerd:, wore mine when I read the rules, several times.
I'll talk to Steve.

I'm on board with adding time.
EVEN IF you already entered your bike into the finished thread you can edit it up until the deadline date. So there you go, if you ain't happy with your pics, wipe your bike down, take some new ones and ride on. I used to have that hardcore mindset where it's GOTTA be the way I want and where's all my votes for the great bike I built blah blah blah... Chill bro, bikes get dirty when you ride them, ain't nobody gonna vote any different because of some dirt. After the first couple bikes it's basically a friends and family popularity contest anyway.

Carl.

After the first couple bikes it's basically a friends and family popularity contest anyway.
Thanks for making it clearer what these events are about. Sorry if I did something out of line. I sincerely do not have the time and energy to make you or anyone else like me. I came here to be around and share info with folks who are into bikes like me. I don't want it to get much deeper than that. I hope you can appreciate that.

Happy New Year!

Maybe it could be different things for different people. But at it's core, I think it should be a competition of bike builders who share their work in internet threads. And perhaps different people will value different things in the judging.

Thanks for making it clearer what these events are about. Sorry if I did something out of line. I sincerely do not have the time and energy to make you or anyone else like me. I came here to be around and share info with folks who are into bikes like me. I don't want it to get much deeper than that. I hope you can appreciate that.

Happy New Year!
Oh no dude it's all good. I just don't want you to get your expectations up and then find out the voting is a buzzkill. Besides your builds probably are in the running for a top slot anyway. Just sharing my experiences. I've seen junk bikes get picked on the popularity of the builder rather than the bike itself. Me, I'm not much of a smoozer, and not a popular builder by any means. I take photos that show it as I ride it. So the seats not slammed and the pedals aren't scraping. I lose votes that way and I've been vocal about those builds. I argue the rideability of them, but if they can sit on them and scoot along it's called rideable. I've found it best (for me) to try and not take it personally and let folks have their fun.

Happy New Year to you too bro.
Guitarl.

Maybe it could be different things for different people. But at it's core, I think it should be a competition of bike builders who share their work in internet threads. And perhaps different people will value different things in the judging.
There's definitely some truth here. Like many things in life, 90% is imagined (or expected, or hoped for) and 10% is what really happens. Sometimes though we can pull off a spectacular build and get the kudos we're looking for. If you're lucky enough to find out who your peers are here and can garner their votes, maybe that is sufficient.
I think my biggest concern is the shrinking group of grumpy old men as my peer group.

GC.

I just don't want you to get your expectations up and then find out the voting is a buzzkill.
I did not enter to win anything more than the experience, learning, meeting people and making something special for myself. I accomplished all those things and then some over the past several months. I will be here for sure to graciously congratulate the winners and competitors. I've been following every build since the 1st day.

One builder appears to be removing paint still :p

I'm sorry to hear that @Rat Rod. I wish you and your family a speedy recovery!

I haven't heard back from @Captain Awesome yet, so I'm going to take what @hamppea has said at face value and push forward. I'll start a poll with a few options and run it until Monday. I'll write a note in each thread letting the builders know of the poll and we'll see where it goes.

Latest posts

Back