Western Scraper

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bought some 1" tubing, and added 6" to the length. But it still wasn't enough, so I cut it up AGAIN, and added yet another 6". That'll be enough, I'm hoping.
IMG_5170_zps0qmkff9b.jpg

I've started working on the forks, but I'm not happy with them, so far. Everything on this "simple" build may take three tries.

Joined the fork up with some old 20" bent springer legs, then heated them up until it sat as low as I wanted it.
IMG_5180_zps57l26spv.jpg

I then added some truss rods for strength. Put on some of the parts to start to see a bicycle.
IMG_5181_zpsuf97wtnz.jpg

I used the top of the truss rods I cut up and a washer to make a bracket for the existing mounting hole in the fender.
IMG_5182_zpsmlhiq8sb.jpg

That stance, that stretch, that fork, this build is really evolving into something super cool. That said, that chain line makes the ol' coin purse tighten a bit, doesn't it, scary.;)

That stance, that stretch, that fork, this build is really evolving into something super cool. That said, that chain line makes the ol' coin purse tighten a bit, doesn't it, scary.;)

Thanks. I actually got all that chain from a garage door opener mechanism. Free chain.

I'm usually not a fan of scrapers, but the geometry on this one is dialed in so well. Of course, I always love the way that you incorporate vintage coolness into your builds.
Looking good man!

Got a lot done on it today. Cut off the truss rods, as they weren't the way I envisioned them originally. I then took some 28" truss rods I had, straightened them out, re-bent them in a different position. Cut off the old ones, and I like it much better. Added a chain tensioner, since I messed up the chain line a bit in my seat stay placement. The good part is that doing that makes the chain line a little more complicated, which allows me to officially call this a burrito.

I then welded a set of bars to the forks, to keep them low, and ran some extensions until I could comfortably hold them.

Few other things, such as another set of struts for the rear fender (not pictured), and a bent seat post. I love the front of the bars, I'm just not sure about the look of the length of them. If I could use them comfortably without the extensions, it would be cooler. I'll stare at it for a while.
IMG_5202_zpsouq6sme7.jpg
IMG_5201_zps5lqafx0p.jpg

Wow~! This thing is wild, and I really dig the chain guide / line. Not sure why, but I'm feeling a 'tractor seat' on this build. Like the long pull back extensions too. Looking forward to the ride video! ;)

Wow~! This thing is wild, and I really dig the chain guide / line. Not sure why, but I'm feeling a 'tractor seat' on this build. Like the long pull back extensions too. Looking forward to the ride video! ;)

A tractor seat might be cool. I am thinking about final seat options.

It'd be tougher to find but I've seen a tractor seat that was a little smaller than usual. I think it was from a riding lawnmower. It was more to scale on a bike than the big one.

Guitarl.

sent from a banana phone...

The old garden tractor seats are smaller than a full size tractor seat, and then the next size down from the garden tractor seat would be one of those old excersize bike seats.

It'd be tougher to find but I've seen a tractor seat that was a little smaller than usual. I think it was from a riding lawnmower. It was more to scale on a bike than the big one.

Guitarl.

sent from a banana phone...

WOW! So sick! What a great start!!

I just threw my pipes into this BO without a complete perusal of the other bikes (my bad) and have a Stretch Flyer in mind...Rather similar, my apologies!

Oh well, they will be quite dis-similar in the end I'm sure :)
Just wanted to give props on an amazing build in progress!

Latest posts

Back