What?! Bike Karma?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it's been a few weeks since RustyK, Nickinator and me went to check out a shop
Hatcher Cycles was advertised on CL for vintage bikes so I got the boys together
Nick had been there before and wanted in on the road trip

I picked up RustyK and had to take a pic of the bike he was giving away, awesome
He said it needed a tire but hope someone would fix it up for a little girl to enjoy
IMG_9691II.jpg

Then RustyK and me went to north west Twin Cites to Nickinator and his Mom's place
We were looking forward to seeing some of his bikes for a while
Had seen his Elgin Bluebird and Radio bike so we wondered what other treasures they had
Got to see Nick's Mom's a gorgeously restored (parts source &partly painted by her :shock: 8) )
Can't remember the year but it was a Goodyear and the pics just don't do it justice
IMG_9693.jpg

IMG_9694.jpg

Nickinator: (now known as "Wiki NIck" for his incredibly encyclopedic knowledge) I need some details from our trip.
I understood about 50% of what RustyK and Nick were talking passionately about :lol:

Nick was working on his Mercury, the tank and grill were just too cool!!
IMG_9696.jpg

Then we get out to the shed to see his Mead Ranger, WOW! So many cool details and well made
IMG_9701.jpg

IMG_9709.jpg

We drove out west by Rockford and we all had cash burning a hole...
Nick said Evan was known for his spectacular restoration jobs, He had very cool restored Art Deco Trikes
IMG_9714.jpg

Amazing shop full of cool stuff, seemed like he was focusing on muscle bikes lately
IMG_9717.jpg

IMG_9724.jpg

IMG_9736.jpg

Does anyone else see the coolest drag bike ever in this flat black Elgin bluebird frame? 8) 8)
IMG_9737.jpg

A word of caution, if you check out the shop, make sure you "take care of business" Before you get there :?
Nick was asking prices and they may have been justifyable (I don't know any better" for resto) but they were out of our range

So then we started looking at the bikes he had in a storage shed and had to check them out too
Nick was so ready to buy a Schwinn, thinking it might be pre-war
Of course it was in the very back but our helper was super nice and gracious
IMG_9730.jpg

While Nick and our helper were digging, The Bug hit RustyK hard! He saw this Elgin
IMG_9731.jpg

He went ape-wire and a heated discussion began between Nick and RustyK

RustyK was calm and collective when we got back and made Evan a sweet offer and he took it!! :D
Took the tank off for transport, very smart!
IMG_9740.jpg

I told RustyK that it was Bike Karma for giving away the girl's bike
He says "That's hippie crap!! No Way!"
Then we started talking more about Bike Karma events we had and he had to admit it might be true :wink: :lol:

I talked with Evan about maybe having some frames only and he said to come back when it got a little warmer
Said he had another shed loaded up and they were for very reasonable prices :D
He also really like the picture of my 24" Eliminator (which is pretty cool for a resto guy) :D

We happened to see this on the way home as an added treat--Too Cool!
IMG_9745II.jpg

We know what they are, but do you? :lol:

So it was fun trip and RustyK got great Bike Karma whether he believed it or not :lol:
IMG_9738.jpg

BTW, the Schwinn was post war so Nick passed
But another trip is coming up to look at frames and I'll keep you posted...
Thanks for looking
Steve

Yeah man that Elgin is super cool.

I wish I would find a Bluebird frame like that. I would rat it and make EVERYBODY hate me for one reason or another :lol: :lol: :lol:

It was a fun day Steve! Kris is still talking about his awesome new elgin. The year of the goodyear is 51, We also have another place to visit in the near future if you want to come with :wink: My face looks pretty weird in the last picture kind of evil looking :oops: but It was a great trip and an awesome story.

Nick.

just give me a heads up, and I'll see if I can't meet up with you guys somewhere! That elgin is primo.. And wow! A second bluebird in mn? That's just awesome. Other than nicks, didn't honestly know of any others.

Ccd

there are 4 that I know of in MN including mine and i'll Pm you on cabe for your Phone number and text/call you when we might go on a trip.

Nick.

charliechaindrive said:
just give me a heads up, and I'll see if I can't meet up with you guys somewhere! That elgin is primo.. And wow! A second bluebird in mn? That's just awesome. Other than nicks, didn't honestly know of any others.

Ccd

Latest posts

Back