What chain guard?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
This is a pretty simple bike, a bit more simple than I usually pick up, but the price was good, even with shipping, so hopefully I can flip it for a few and make some kid happy.

What was the original guard that came on it? The sprocket looks Huffy, even though the frame doesn't. Anyone know what it was called? I'd like to restore it close to original.

s-l1600.jpg

Wow, that is a stumper. It sure looks like a Huffy except that back looks like a Rollfast. Is it a Monarch or a Mohawk? I believe Mohawk bought Rollfast at some point in the 70's, so maybe that is what it is?

I just sold a Rollfast Top Drag sprocket that would have been kind of cool on it if it is a Mohawk.

It's an entry level cheater slick huffy, but not sure of the exact model. I see a lot of those up this way with Kmart "all-pro" badging. This frame pops up in the sears built huffy muscle bikes too.

Definately Huffy, but I don't think Cheater Slick. Has the longer Seat post frame extension with reflector bracket. Probably mid 70's, like 76 or 77.

Wow, that is a stumper. It sure looks like a Huffy except that back looks like a Rollfast. Is it a Monarch or a Mohawk?
Says Monarch on the head badge sticker. When I get it I'll check for a serial number, not that that will help. Lol. My biggest concern is the chain guard. I guess if I never figure it out I'll just find one that is cheap and fits and spray it with the rest of the bike. Like I said, this is just going to be a little flip bike. I'm not going to put much into it.

It is probably a Huffy, I would bet it has the original sprocket and that would make it a Huffy.

Frame Looks like a Huffy buckaroo actually, but the Monark badge makes it about impossible to guess the model.

This is the later Cheater Slick entry level bike frame (hijacked pic from google) from post 1970-71 I think. Not the same as Crash's find, but they did make non-cantilever frame huffy cheater slicks too.

IMG_2837.JPG

Looks a lot like this one - tall seat tube, etc.

As asked, placement of the hole for guard bolt is the key to what it had, either this guard ( front bolt on bottom ), or the Cheater slick style with the rail type top bracket.

1976-huffy-star-spangler-banana-seat_1_eb0c582394a30b04761ac42f657f2b87.jpg

Good catch. Looks like the same frame. For guard placement, it was a bracket attached like what the Rail uses when mounting a Flaming Stack guard. I have no idea if the other type used the same mounting.

Latest posts

Back