What stem would you suggest for a Klunker.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I'm putting together a klunkerish type of build. I have very limited experience with bmx type handlebar stems, so I wanted to see what you guys would suggest? It's 1" threaded fork and the bars have a 7/8 (22.2mm) clamping area. I see the cheap ones on eBay and as they get more expensive I have no idea what is worth spending the money on.

Last edited:
Ooh that's a tricky one. It all depends on the frame, can you post pics? I like something with clamping power. 4 bolts are strong and stylin'.
asylum-cycles-hank-klunker-singlespeed-mountain-bike-3.jpg

^dag, I want that bike.

There's a bunch of decent looking quill style bmx stems, but I've always been partial to the mallet stems

If you get a threadless adapter..........your choices become ten fold

I forgot about Slingshots! I love those. But I don't love them with a crossbar so much. I don't know why, something about the repeated enclosures bugs me. I think it's one of my old graphic design professors hollering at me to avoid trapped negative space.
picture8_lg.jpg

Is it just me?

Edit: it's just me, that's a sweet setup

Theres only one rule in graphic design: There are no rules...(except for all those other rules)

I used a Schwinn steel gooseneck on my 1941 DX klunker. They usually come in upright if they are from a 26 inch bike and dropped if they are from a road bike. This would be what most early klunker riders used. They also sometimes used motocross bars, which is what I used. I cut them shorter.

"The bars I have coming have a crossbar so it has to be one that separates. "
If they are old bicycle crossbars with a flat section at the ends, just take the bolt out of the gooseneck and thread the bars past that part.

If you can find a 1-1/8'' threadless adapter for your 1'' threaded steerer, you could use any modern BMX stem, that has a 22.2mm clamp. Since all modern BMX bikes us a 1-1/8'' threadless steerer, it'd fit with the adaptor. Could probably even make one, if you really wanted to.

Last edited:
I've never used an adapter like that for trail riding. Can anyone share experience, good or bad, about them? My main concern is with an extra clamping component, there's one more (highly stressed, and pretty critical) part that can shake loose.

"The bars I have coming have a crossbar so it has to be one that separates. "
If they are old bicycle crossbars with a flat section at the ends, just take the bolt out of the gooseneck and thread the bars past that part.
Doesn’t have to be a separate for a Schwinn type steel stem. There are tutorials on the net on how to do this. The same way the original klunker riders installed them on motocross bars. You have to spread the goose neck a little and put it on the thin cross brace. Then it just goes on as if the cross brace wasn’t there. Vice grips close the slight spread. You need a shim as the motorcycle bars are less than one inch. Check out Alan Bonds Clunkers site for alll the parts for a klunker including the shim you need. I ordered a bunch of seat post and motor cycle bar shims so I always have them on hand. I put these on cross brace bars without the flat spot. You might not have to spread a standard gooseneck with the flat spots if you follow the net directions.

Latest posts

Back